Are they allowed here?

And with a comic book collection I mean comic books that have been collected into one volume (hardcover or TBP). Just to be clear. :)

I hope they are because http://www.comico.gs is too limited in scope for me

Sorry, I meant http://www.comicogs.com/

I was thinking they go in comicogs. I'd like to hear what others think.

I hope so too. I actually would prefer if Bibliogs and Comicogs would be merged, there's so much overlapping. :-)

is there any way to have comicogs be a semi autonomous yet also within bibliogs? give comic book people the feeling that they have their own place so like, if its tagged Comic or Graphic Novel it appears there and here?

i dunno, seems like its gonna be tough deciding what goes where... i understand the division to keep focus but at the same time it brings up all sorts of issues...

Right. Let's say I want to enter my Calvin and Hobbes books here. I really don't feel like they belong at comicogs, yet, they are comics.

yep... or how about something like Mad... i mean, we have magazine here in the formats and they call themselves a magazine.. its all drawn content, but its not the usual comic book size.. cause its not a comic exactly..

meanwhile certain graphic novels def have the literary content to "deserve" to be here... i dunno

Yeah, it's going to be hard to draw a line.

In addition there are books where comics are just part of the content, and there are a bunch of writers who do write both, comics and prose. Also we would need to clarify when we're dealing with a graphic novel/comic book and when with an illustrated book.

Please check out our new wiki page on this subject:

http://www.biblio.gs/wiki/When-To-Add-To-Bibliogs-Or-Comicogs

Wow, great write up. It's kind of like the distinction at Discogs where documentaries about music are not added, they belong at filmogs. Not because they are anti-music, but because the film takes priority over the music.

Don't agree with it, but oh well... :)

^^ yeh i dont agree either. but so it goes :)

i have a feeling that this site is goin to quickly eclipse comicogs and the decision to merge will be made eventually.. i really think it would be awesome to have comicogs as a seemingly autonomous site but within bibliogs but yeh. i already said that lol

tbh i think it would be great if this was for all printed materials. sounds like alot but.... a place to catalog flyers, postcards, newspapers etc etc anything and everything printed. but yeh thats just a fantasy ive had for years, i dont expect it to be real.

I just went to comicogs and did a search for the terms "garfield", "calvin" and "far side". No results. People aren't submitting them.

I'm going to.

and why do i have a feeling that somewhere a hardcore comic person is gonna raise objections? lol

i guess a collection of comic strips falls under "comic" but yeh its been at least 2 decades since ive been real into comics so i have no idea nowadays whats what

On this note, did you all see that we have an "audio book" format here?

That definitely is a crossover with discogs.

beyond crossover i dont think that belongs here at all.

ebooks hypothetically belong here and i will suffer them like i do mp3 at discogs but.....

i think audio book shouldnt be here.

edit wish i could edit lol

but yeh, if a audio book COMES WITH a printed book then yeh it should be here...

but a book isnt a book just cause its called a book.. otherwise we would have..... comic books

I think audio books belong here more than discogs, if we forget the word book and use literature or story or writing, then its seems easier to fit them in here, they will obviously slot right into a master release.

Today I started to add a few books I have laying around and the problem of Comicogs and Bibliogs being seperate entities immediately came to my attention. There are potentially many examples of things which are equal part comic or book, I know I have a few like that.

Although I have a large collection of my favourite old comic compendiums stored away I no longer actively seek anything new so there is no drive for me to manage two seperate collections for such similar art forms.

This one probably needs to be removed as it contains only a small written introduction: http://www.biblio.gs/book/3421-Moomin-The-Deluxe-Anniversary-Edition

"I just went to comicogs and did a search for the terms Garfield [...]"

I have boxes full of the various Garfield / Orson's Farm pocket books released in the UK as well as annuals and other miscellaneous things. They're currently at my mother's house so maybe one day if they have still not been submitted I will dig them out.

@maldoror i agree forget the word book, and it isnt writing exactly but i would say bound printed materials.

i think discogs is 100% good for audio books, discogs being for audio carrying mediums.. doesnt matter if its a audio book, album, lecture, etc etc etc audio makes itthe question is do they fit here as well.. automatically discogs...

so audio books fit at discogs the question is do they fit here... id argue not unless they are packaged with bound printed material.

i think that when the baby Ogs are fully fleshed out linking within various sites master releases should be easy... the bibliogs master for a title contains a link to the discogs master for the audio book.. but if audio books then what? lectures? spoken word? plays? clearly in the spirit of writing story or even literature thousands of discogs submissions would better be here...

i think there are tons of things that require both bibliogs & discogs entries, books that come with CDs, records that come with books etc etc... i dunno, obv early stages so im just fleshing out a argument viewpoint :D i would love to see the bound printed materials angle get explored fully and leave audio entirely to discogs which is already well equipped to handle just that

I think audio books belong here more than discogs
I think they belong to both. What I don't understand that if overlapping is allowed with Discogs, then why not with Comicogs?

there is no drive for me to manage two seperate collections for such similar art forms.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I still do read comics, but I've given up buying single issues, and I'm actually selling most of the single issues I have at the moment, so I have no interest to start entering them to a database that's not quite there yet.

There are potentially many examples of things which are equal part comic or book
There are, and everything in between. :) But I get the feeling that the staff has already made up their minds to have two separate databases.

I think they belong to both. What I don't understand that if overlapping is allowed with Discogs, then why >not with Comicogs?
I think its because discogs started out as a music cataloguing site then morphed into a site to catalogue anything on any audio carrying medium

The release of books and comic databases has the benefit of more aforethought. I like them being separate. I have my comic and book collections separate so it makes sense to me to have them separate. I do look forward to linked databases in the future though.

I think its because discogs started out as a music cataloguing site then morphed into a site to catalogue anything on any audio carrying medium

Well, of course. Pretty much both Filmogs and Bibliogs, and probably even Comicogs will overlap with Discogs. I just find that trying to completely avoid any overlapping between books, magazines and comic books is a mission impossible that will eventually just harm both databases, they are so close to each other.

Most bookstores sell graphic novels, trades, etc. (at least to some extent) - it's often just single issues that are exclusive to comic book stores.

It can be also be an issue to people who have already catalogued their collection on a site that does include them.

I like them being separate.

Then I guess we just have to agree to disagree. For me it's like separating only cassettes from all the other audio formats...

Of course I do keep my single issues separate in long boxes because you can't really put them to a book shelf... But everything else is happily together with books. :)

I just find that trying to completely avoid any overlapping between books, magazines and comic books is a mission impossible that will eventually just harm both databases, they are so close to each other.

Sure there will be some overlap but I think the line that has been drawn is reasonably clear, single issues and any of those single issues collected are entered into the comic database.

I tried keeping my graphic novels shelved with my books once but it didn't last because of the height differences, too much wasted shelf space :)

Indeed, as I had posted in the thread "Duplicate". And one of those 3 is a duplicate created by mistake by OS.

As long as the two sites remain separate

Come on... I almost forgot about this. ;)

I tried keeping my graphic novels shelved with my books once but it didn't last because of the height differences, too much wasted shelf space :)

Ah, I don't have that problem. Might have something to do with the fact that they are sorted by own logic than any other existing standard. :)

In my opinion comics and graphic novels should be took up by Bibliogs: Books, magazines, fanzines, short stories,... Comics, etc.

In my opinion comics and graphic novels should be took up by Bibliogs: Books, magazines, fanzines, short stories,... Comics, etc.

Agree with this +1

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.