I have an anthology, 'A Century of Science Fiction' in which selections are not the complete work. It includes, among other complete short stories, part of H.G. Wells 'Time Machine' and lists it as "A selection from 'The Time Machine'". How should this be listed in the "works" credit? Obviously listing "The Time Machine" is not correct and listing it as 'A selection from 'Time Machine' will create a credit that doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

That's an interesting one! It's not a perfect solution, but I would say it can be added to the main work, even though it's a selection and not a complete representation of the work. Open to suggestions though if anyone has a different opinion!

Having a way to link works and get a 'work that consists of other works' would be the solution not only for this case, but also for any stabilized short story collections and such (the thing discussed here).

Obviously listing "The Time Machine" is not correct and listing it as 'A selection from 'Time Machine' will create a credit that doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

I've been battling with the same problem as I've submitted quite a few anthologies.

This is my current method:
- If the selection has been published separately several times by various publishers, and it has been given its own title --> create a new work.
- If the selection is a one-off, and has a generic title (à la "A selection from 'The Time Machine'") --> link it to the full work.

It does feel a bit odd to link a partial work to the full work, but I'm also not sure whether we should be creating a separate work for every single selection / excerpt / abridgement, etc.

It does feel a bit odd to link a partial work to the full work, but I'm also not sure whether we should be creating a separate work for every single selection / excerpt / abridgement, etc.

Agree, it's not quite ideal, but think it's better than having separate Works for different fragments of a Work.

falsepriest wrote:

That's an interesting one! It's not a perfect solution, but I would say it can be added to the main work, even though it's a selection and not a complete representation of the work. Open to suggestions though if anyone has a different opinion!

I took your advice and added notes in the complete work that 'A Century of Science Fiction' contained and excerpt of the work.

I took your advice and added notes in the complete work that 'A Century of Science Fiction' contained and excerpt of the work.

Great, that sounds good! Thanks for checking in on this one

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.