Hello together,
I think that the size and the weight of a book is important to know.
Because some books of the same publisher have different sizes. Some are very big, some are pocketbooks.
I cannot identify the size with the EAN Code or other numbers. Than I have to look on different internet pages.
That makes no sense because I want to have all the information here at Bookogs like Discogs.
What are you all think about that?
Regards
Achim

Yup, an option to add physical dimensions would be great.
But do we take cm or in? kg or lb?

There should also be an option to add lenght and width for publisher series.

I would advocate at least the size of a book. I have added books that are exactly the same except for the size. It would be a lot of work to add to existing submissions but it would definatly enhance the datbase.

I would advocate at least the size of a book. I have added books that are exactly the same except for the size. It would be a lot of work to add to existing submissions but it would definatly enhance the database.

Agreed. IIRC, there has been multiple requests for this.

I think the field needs to be optional anyway, e-books and digital audiobooks don't have a physical size, and it shouldn't stop users from updating other data on existing submissions.

But do we take cm or in?

If I had to choose either or, I would go with metric, it's more commonly used. But I would use millimeters instead of centimeters. Different countries use different decimal separators, and I think it's just clearer.

148 x 210 mm > 14.8 x 21 cm or 14,8 x 21 cm

But just my preference... it might be easier to find a way to allow the use of both the metric and the imperial system.

Would users want to browse books by size? If not, then might be easier to just have a free-text field.

Dimensions and weights are now in the submission form. See https://www.bookogs.com/book/608126-ways-of-hearing for an example

You can pick from whichever unit you prefer. So even if you are one of these crazy people that prefers imperial it should all make sense to you ;)

Nice, thank you. :)

Just one question - "depth" is the width of the spine, right?

Great studf Kalli, thank you.

mirva wrote:

Just one question - "depth" is the width of the spine, right?

Yes. Couldn't really think of a better name for it, happy to hear suggestions. Also note that if you are adding dimensions the depth measurement is optional (while the height and width are not). We felt that the front page dimensions might be enough for many purposes.

I wouldn't know what else to call it either, so depth is probably ok. It seems to be in use, though most places just give the dimensions of the front page.

I updated a box set, and I was wondering if it would be better to have the description on the same row as the dimensions:
https://www.bookogs.com/book/623236-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings

I like it, thanks Kalli. Also, thanks for the notes section -- it works great for documenting multi book box sets like Mirva's example.

I updated one of my subs:

https://www.bookogs.com/book/561948-1963-major-league-baseball-handbook

and used the notes section to show the fractional equivalents of the size in inches. Does anybody see a problem with this?

Also, perhaps a fourth option (Ounces) could be added to the weight. My postal scale shows the weight in pounds and ounces and it's an extra step to convert ounces to decimal pounds.

Now, how about adding a "Printed in" or Manufactured in" field?

Btw, info about dimensions and weight that can be found on the net is often completely wrong. It's better to measure and weigh the book yourself.

kitchi-gummi wrote:

and used the notes section to show the fractional equivalents of the size in inches. Does anybody see a problem with this?

I think its best to enter it with a decimal so the structured data is correct. We can look into the formatting of it for inches, so that it displays in fractions (that is the more common format for inches?)

Now, how about adding a "Printed in" or Manufactured in" field

Yes please

Now, how about adding a "Printed in" or Manufactured in" field?

+1 from me too.

I think the previous suggestion was to expand the publication location field into a drop down, but a separate field works too. Just make sure it can handle multiple locations as the manufacturing is not always done in one location. :-)

I think its best to enter it with a decimal so the structured data is correct. We can look into the formatting of it for inches, so that it displays in fractions (that is the more common format for inches?)

Yes, I believe it's common to show dimensions in inches with fractions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16). Ideally, there would be a toggle where the dimensions could be displayed or entered either way and the system would do the conversions. Also, I see you have the system currently set up to round decimal numbers to 2 places, which I think is good.

I think the previous suggestion was to expand the publication location field into a drop down, but a separate field works too. Just make sure it can handle multiple locations as the manufacturing is not always done in one location. :-)

I think a separate field is necessary because the publication location and printing site are usually 2 completely different animals. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be using the location of the publisher as shown on the copyright page for the publication location field? For publishers in the states, that usually includes the city, state and zip code. Sometimes even the complete address.

While the location where the item is printed or manufactured is often just shown as the country (United States, Hong Kong, China). A publisher could be located in New York, but get their books printed in China.

I think a separate field is necessary because the publication location and printing site are usually 2 completely different animals.

They are, at least with this system. I think the original idea was to have one "location" section, where "publication location" was just one of the options. There were also some other options included, like "distributed in". But that was quite a while ago, and changing things that much is probably not wise at this point.

But here are some examples of books where the manufacturing has been done in multiple places:

https://www.bookogs.com/book/13528-history-of-art-a-survey-of-the-major-visual-arts-from-the-dawn-of-history-to-the-present-day
Printed in West Germany, bound in Holland.

https://www.bookogs.com/book/233298-martian-time-slip
Book printed in the US, cover printed in Canada.

That's why I think it probably should be a drop down (Printed in, Bound in, Manufactured/Made in), and have a description field.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be using the location of the publisher as shown on the copyright page for the publication location field?

Looks like that according to the current "documentation", yes... :)

At one point it was discussed to use the title page as the primary source because not every book has a copyright page. Older books don't have it, and it's not a standard in every country. Personally, I only take it from the copyright page if there's no location on the title page.

And should it be the dimensions measured by the submitter or the one indicated in the book for example the majority of books which I've already submitted are 84×108/32 (130X200mm), but cover can add about 5mm to each side

Maybe could add both, and use the description field. I'm assuming what the publisher has given is probably the page size, so you could always use "cover dimensions" and "page size", or something like that.

I did a small test here just to describe what I mean: https://www.bookogs.com/book/52397-russian-folk-tales

Yes, the publisher tehnically speaking gives the paper size. I'll use your submission as an example

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.