Which one is more correct, where the authors of works under contributing writer tag
https://www.bookogs.com/book/412875-shestoi-dvorets
or as I've already made under author tag
https://www.bookogs.com/book/601160-konets-detstva

If it's an anthology (selection of stories from multiple writers), then 'Contributing Writer' is better.

'Contributor' or 'contributing writer' is a commonly used term at least when it comes to anthologies of new works, but also sometimes used for anthologies of existing works.

If eventually the author pages are sorted out, I think it's good to differentiate between being a main author of a book and being just one of the contributors.

mirva wrote:

If it's an anthology (selection of stories from multiple writers), then 'Contributing Writer' is better.

And one more question for clarification. If it is an anthology of one author it's plausible to use "Author" isn't it?

If it is an anthology of one author it's plausible to use "Author" isn't it?

Yes, then you should use "Author".

Anthology is a specific type of collection, consisting of works by several different writers. Single-writer collections are usually called just collections. :-)

Thank you very much

mirva, what title should I fill in the form if there is no title of the book. It's just a compilation of author's works. For example like that: https://www.bookogs.com/book/119561-sobranie-sochinenii-v-piati-tomakh-t-1

Hmmm. I don't think we've discussed what to do in those cases.

I would've probably just used "Р. Л. Стивенсон", but that's just based on the cover. Other parts of the book might be different.

Yes, the book titled as Р.Л. Стивенсон and subtitle is Собрание сочинений в 5 томах - collected works in 5 volumes. I have the similar edition consisting 5 volumes which contains the majority of his works. For example the first volume has novel and 5 stories.

nickist420 wrote:

Yes, the book titled as Р.Л. Стивенсон and subtitle is Собрание сочинений в 5 томах

That sounds logical. It's always difficult to say anything when there's only a picture of the cover. :-)

One more question what is the differnce between writer and contributing writer, as I saw that some use the first one for antologies

There's no huge difference. Writer is a very generic role, and contributing writer is just a specific type of writer.

Contributing writer is often a freelancer who writes for a collective publication (be it an anthology or a magazine), alongside with other writers.

As the stories for anthologies are acquired on a project-by-project basis, they are usually called contributors/contributing writers rather than just writers.

And if the writer deceased but his works are in antology?

I actually asked the same question a long time ago, as to me the 'contributing writer' sounded a bit too 'active', but I was told it doesn't matter, or at least that it shouldn't matter. :-)

After submitting quite a few anthologies, I've come to agree that it's probably the best to use 'contributing writer' for all anthologies, just because there are too many possible scenarios and variables.

I mean...
What if the writer submits a work for an anthology but dies before the anthology is published?
What if the writer writes a work for an anthology, dies, and someone else submits it on their behalf?
What if the writer starts writing a work, dies, another writer finishes it and submits it to an anthology?
What if the writer uses/used a pseudonym, and cannot be identified?

It's a lot easier just to use the same credit for all anthologies, no matter if the writers are deceased or alive, if the works are old, new or a combination of old and new, if the works were directly acquired from writers or if there was an (open) call for submissions.

That said, as at least currently there's no real difference in using the roles, they are both ok to use. If we ever get the credit pages sorted, then that might make a difference, but we're not there yet. :-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.