Yesterday I needed to search on "Günter Grass" and noticed that you have to actually find the"ü" character for this to be successful. Is there some way of being presented with the accented version by typing in the unaccented version? So I could type "Gunter Grass" or "L'Etranger" and find the crrect credit without having to try and find the accented character? There are versions of "L'Étranger" with the accent, and one without.

And lo, a missing "c" in the topic title. How irritating...

steppenwolf_a_558 wrote:

So I could type "Gunter Grass" or "L'Etranger" and find the correct credit without having to try and find the accented character?

That's how it should work. We're currently getting a lot of duplicates because of these issues, the credit/work field auto search is not as smart as it should be. The sitewide search is a bit smarter, but even that could use some improvements.

In addition to umlauts, accents and other diacritics, it would be helpful if the search could also ignore all non-letter characters, such as hyphens, apostrophes, extra spaces, periods, etc. If someone enters JRR Tolkien or J. R. R. Tolkien to a credit field, J.R.R. Tolkien should come up as an option.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.