Should I be creating a Work very time I add another book to the database, even though my addition is not an original and propbably is a paperback version of a previous hard cover book?
I would assume that if I add a First Edition of a work that I should be creating a work for that item (with image).

Today I added a Robert E Howard book "Wolfshead" which includes a rear cover statement 'Never Before Published' & a John Norman book "Time Slave" with rear cover statement 'A Daw Books Original'. Should the image of each be included as the image of the Work based on these statements?

I hope I am not covering old territory here, but I have read the Wiki a couple of times and searched several pages of Forum topics. I think a search feature is needed to look up info included in prior Forum submissions.

Should I be creating a Work very time I add another book to the database, even though my addition is not an original and propbably is a paperback version of a previous hard cover book?

It's not mandatory to create the work, but it would be nice. :-)

You can create the Work with any edition (or printing).

Should the image of each be included as the image of the Work based on these statements?

If I've understood correctly, the main image of the Work should be the cover, and/or title page of the very first edition. So if these were the first time these Works were published, then yes, they should also be the cover of the Work.

As the Robert E. Howard book is a collection, and there's also a short story with the same name, the collection should be named "Wolfshead (Collection)". I've updated the short story: https://www.bookogs.com/work/565004-wolfshead-short-story

I think a search feature is needed to look up info included in prior Forum submissions.

Yes, it would be nice. In the meantime you can always use Google. Just add "site:bookogs.com/forum" (without the quotation marks) after your search term. It isn't perfect either but helps a little bit.

Have you read the wiki entry ----> https://www.bookogs.com/wiki/works-master-pages-on-bookogs

It's like a master in discogs. The work entry (+ images) should be the first edition in the original language. You always may add a work, if you know that there exist different editions (i.e. translations, printings etc.) of this work. They are not needed for unique releases like magazines. You don't have to own this original work.

Hope that helps....

mmpf, mirva was faster...;-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.