(This overlaps a bit with the discussion on the Master Releases thread, but that seems to have become mainly a running list of titles to be added to MRs in the future, so I wanted to start another thread.)

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, but I think a field for Printer's Key would be useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer%27s_key

It's a candidate for the "Identifying Codes" area, though it could be its own field.

One question to think about is: Should this be treated like the Matrix / Runout field on Discogs?

In other words, should a single Bibliogs submission be allowed to have multiple Keys, like a single Discogs submission can have runout variants, as long as everything else is the same?

Or should a different Key be considered like an "artwork variation" on Discogs, justifying an entirely different submission?

It's a candidate for the "Identifying Codes" area, though it could be its own field.

I've entered it to notes, but it would be nice to be able to enter it to a specific field. I think it could be added to the Identifying Codes list.

In other words, should a single Bibliogs submission be allowed to have multiple Keys, like a single Discogs submission can have runout variants, as long as everything else is the same?

There are some issues to consider. First, a changed key means a new printing. We already have examples where they have changed things between printings (content, artwork, price, barcode changes at least). Second, if this is ever going to expand into a marketplace, first printings should have their own entry anyway, as they are often more collectable and valuable than any other printing.

This has come up a couple of times in previous discussions, and IIRC we kinda agreed on entering them as separate entries for now, and see how it goes, and if it causes any problems. This also allows to see how often they actually are exactly identical, and if we need to draw lines, and where to draw them. You know, it's better to have too much data than too little, and it's easier to merge entries later (if needed) than start splitting them.

+1 about Printer's Key as new Identify Code.

I agree with mirva's comments.

+1 for the new field

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.