Not as a first time but i found persons they appear in books without the title Doctor (Dr. in Hungary) and because they later get the Doctorate title, they appear later with this title as well. I thought i will use name variation but which is the (main) credit and which is the name variation?
I think nobody born with the Doctor title but get it only later in the lifetime so i would use a credit name first without Dr. and using NV. Any opinion? Thanks

There was a thread about this here: https://www.bookogs.com/forum/537143-wiki-artist-name-pan-without-titles-or-ranks

I think it's obvious that in most cases the PAN should be the name without the title.

foxmulder wrote:

which is the (main) credit and which is the name variation?

I just use whatever was entered first to the database - if there's a problem with that, it can be discussed. Do you have a specific example?

In my not-so-popular opinion:

• If the artist is commonly credited with a specific title, the PAN should include the title, for example Lord Byron. This way also fake titles are kept - for example Captain W. E. Johns never held the rank of a captain, it is part of the pseudonym.

• If the artist is credited approximately equally with and without the title, the PAN can be either or (for example Sir Walter Scott and Arthur Conan Doyle are both ok)

• If the title is rarely used, the PAN should not include the title

• If the artist is credited with more than one title throughout their career, and none of the titles is more relevant than the others, the PAN should not include a title

In some cases the title can be useful, and work as identifying factor. For example I'd prefer the PAN Captain James Cook over just James Cook. I'm pretty sure he won't be the only James Cook in the database.

In my not-so-popular opinion

Your opinion is popular in most cases ;-)

And you're right here again. I think this is mostly about titles that are earned in scholarship careers, like Dr., Prof. and so on.
It's more difficult if it comes to the nobility/military examples you mentioned.
There will be some difficulties with more unknown persons and a few will appear in both variants often.
We will have to decide that case by case if it's unclear.

But in general: "In most cases titles should not ne used for the PAN".

Maybe you agree with this not-too-strict rule...

Thank you guys, i think i am on the right way.

I just use whatever was entered first to the database - if there's a problem with that, it can be discussed.

I hope and know Bookogs is a bit different than Discogs where a new (but wrong) credit first entered into the DB it is very hard to change it later.
I have few examples but now i asked because a Hungarian printing director. His name appears both way with Dr. also without this title. It is clear he got the Doctorate title later in his career:
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/445644-csondes-zoltan
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/442204-dr-csondes-zoltan

I start to clear his credit, PAN will be his name without the Dr. title. Thanks

indy133 wrote:

But in general: "In most cases titles should not ne used for the PAN". Maybe you agree with this not-too-strict rule...

Sorry, it's still too simplified for me... I just don't understand why the titles are so horrible that we would need such a rule. ;-)

I know it's often hard to know how a person is credited on other publications or future publications, but luckily we can always rename entries, anytime. That means we don't have to, and shouldn't worry about the current PAN unless it is objectively wrong, or affects usability.

foxmulder wrote:

PAN will be his name without the Dr. title.

And only time will tell whether this decision was good or not. Currently there are three times as much credits with the title as there are without - hopefully that'll change.

And only time will tell whether this decision was good or not. Currently there are three times as much credits with the title as there are without - hopefully that'll change.

Planned to get new ID codes especially for Hungarian books from the stuff - if this will happen then i need to check many of my previous entries, too. Doctors are in danger! :-)

I think at this point it is more important to get those entries merged than to worry about the primary name. ;-)

Yes, i started to do, thanks :-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.