It seems that any credits or books I edit get added to my "Following" list. This feature should be optional, not automatic, particularly as it is awkward to remove items from it.

Is it possible to not add edited pages to the list by default?

This feature should be optional, not automatic, particularly as it is awkward to remove items from it.

Agreed, especially when you're just fixing a small thing on someone else's submission. Having to unfollow the item afterward adds an unnecessary step to the process.

Well, not long ago, someone "fixed a small thing" on one of my submissions, she did it to the best of her knowledge and belief, but was unfortunately misinformed and thus converted a correct info into a false one. Without the automatic following, she would not have learned of her mistake and possibly repeated it.

I wonder if it would be possible to include it in the settings, so that you could choose whether you want to automatically follow items or not.

The following system itself is not all bad. I guess it becomes particularly burdensome when you are doing multiple edits, for example merges, splits and other kind of mass edits, where you don't really need to follow an item.

For example I noticed yesterday a bunch of magazines were missing a Periodical Title credit, so I added it. And after every edit I had to unfollow, just because I had no further interest in those magazines.

I know some minor blunders probably happen here and there, but it's also bit of nuisance to have to constantly unfollow items, especially in an open database where you're expected to edit items when needed.

seppuku wrote:

Is it possible to not add edited pages to the list by default?

Thanks for the feedback seppuku. We can see how this might be bothersome especially as the number of submissions and edits start to grow.

mirva wrote:

I wonder if it would be possible to include it in the settings, so that you could choose whether you want to automatically follow items or not.

Maybe this should be a checkbox in the submission form, allowing one to select on a submission basis whether or not one wants to follow the item being edited.

Another question would be whether that checkbox should be checked or unchecked by default. Or maybe that should even be a user setting "Automatically follow my submissions and edits" or something like that?

I'm at least ok with any solution that makes the editing process smoother, and I'm quite certain you know better how the system works and what is possible. :-)

If there will be a checkbox, I would prefer it to be unchecked by default. But I can imagine it depends on what you do in the database, so the setting idea might be a good option.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.