Would it be posible to do a search by location publication?
Like, I want to see what has been published in North Korea. For the time being it is not possible.
That would be very useful. Thanks

That's a good idea tam89rds. Will look into the technical feasibility of it.

It also brings up a couple of questions regarding Location of Publication though. I think some of these have been discussed before.

1. Should it be possible to enter multiple publishing locations
  2. Should this be broken down into more fields like city and country (and maybe even state, province or something like that?)

As it stands the data for this field is a bit all over the place. I think it could do with some standardisation, similar to how we recently did it with languages.

also it rises a question about name variations of locations :)

also it rises a question about name variations of locations :)

Indeed, I guess it is best to go by whatever is on the indicia/colophon/copyright page. But standardisation would also be helpful.

Should it be possible to enter multiple publishing locations

Yes. Some books are published in multiple locations.

Should this be broken down into more fields like city and country (and maybe even state, province or something like that?)

I think so. While it's a standard to state the city as the publication location in a lot of countries, and a lot of books just mention the city, there are also books that do not have a location mentioned but it's possible often to determine at least the country based on other things.

So, I think the field(s) should be as flexible as possible.

Also, for example in the US, there are multiple cities with the same name in different states (and some of those names already exist in other countries), so including a possibility to enter the state/province is probably a must.

also it rises a question about name variations of locations

Yeah... Both historical and language-based.

If the book says "Ленинград" do we enter:
Ленинград, СССР
Leningrad, USSR
Санкт-Петербург, Россия
Saint Petersburg, Russia

My initial thought would be to enter it as it is stated, but then to ease the use of the website, maybe the English name (if such thing exists) should be preferred?

I have so many thougths and questions about this... Sorry not sorry. :D

I've always used the publisher's location exactly as is shown on the title page, which is usually a city or number of cities. If there is no location there, I've used the publisher's location on the copyright page. But, that location is often a complete address. So, usually I'd just use the city, country and postal code in that case. So, some official standardisation rules would certainly be welcome.

Maybe adding several locations would be the solution:
1. City (potentially City,State for US and where applicable)
2. Country

I think that we should only use English to enter these fields, as on Discogs, otherwise, it will not be searchable, and primary language here, as on Discogs, is English. That should be the standard for this field.
If I sub a North Korean book, and enter "North Korea" in Korean, well it will be useful only for users who master Korean.

Also for countries we should have a drop-down list as on Discogs. Will allow to avoid a lot of duplicates, errors etc.

I agree with standardizing the publication notation entries.
But, besides all the language variations, there is another problem.

In The Netherlands, we use sometimes the older city names or the modern variants, e.g.

For The Hague (in English) we have also a French variant (La Haye) and in Dutch itself it has two "names": Den Haag (modern one, which is the basis for the foreign names) or 's Gravenhage (which is the older, official form).

When I enter a publication location, I normally use the modern version (since it is mostly used) and between round brackets I use the country code).

So for Den Haag in which ever form, I enter:
Den Haag (NL)

Then city and country is clear.

This also prevents any vagueness about which country we are talking.
Take for example St. Petersburg. The oldest one is ofcourse in Russia, but another one is in Florida, USA. Small difference, but still significant. :D

Sounds like this can get pretty complicated. My current thinking:

• We'd want people to enter whatever is actually on the physical item
  • That should then (in the background) also result in the location being resolved to geographical locations (city, state, country) that wouldn't be restricted to the language used in the book.

Hmm kalli

i agree. But this would mean some sort of mapping between all name variants in all different languages.

To my knowledge, there is only one method to do this efficiently and with possibilities to extend: a proper, fully functional multi-language geographical thesaurus.

But this would mean some sort of mapping between all name variants in all different languages.

Yes, and that's easier said than done. Over on Vinylhub google maps is used to parse regions from an address string, I guess something similar could be used here, but not sure if it works for all languages or historical names, so would probably need a manual override too.

There's so much basic things needed to be done on bookogs. So IMO this feature definitely should not be in priotity in the nearest future :)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.