The more I think about it the more I am convinced that we should use something else than just numbers to distinguish different credits with the same name. In bookogs we not just have names of persons, but also any other imaginable terms and topics.
Idea: Would it be possible to attach a free text field to the credit name, where we could specify the credit name; i.e. US-author, Spanish band, generic term, movie etc.?
Or maybe we could use the method, that is used i.e in wikipedia. If you move the cursor over a link the profile appears.

Other ideas, thoughts?

In this thread:

https://www.bookogs.com/forum/529251-copy-to-draft-profile-name-identifiers-split-info-works-by-and-works-about

The staff stated this:

This has been discussed here, I'm not sure if the community reached a firm consensus on the way to go. I agree that the numbering system isn't ideal, but a good way to distinguish between entities with the same name is important. There are no technical reasons to use the same format on Bookogs.

I've added credits with (Band) behind the name much like Wikipedia pages to differentiate between two different topics.

I think this would work for many types of credits, except ones like "John Smith" where there may be 5+ credits. Then it gets a little more tricky.

Some users have suggested not having suffix at all, but a system, when entering credits, that show details about each credit so it is easier to distinguish between them. Unfortunately, that is not a system in place at this time.

With the current system, I prefer descriptive text to a number.

As it is at this moment we are using the numbering system, all credits should be entered in this way.

With the current system, I prefer descriptive text to a number.

Same here. In addition to not being really helpful, the numbers also create a false impression of hierarchy. There is a long history of users, artists, etc. swapping suffixes for personal preferences in Discogs. It would be nice if we didn't have to deal with that issue at all.

Other system that many databases seem to use is birth/death years, or years of activity. Works could use the publication year as the basic system.

Some users have suggested not having suffix at all

That was probably me. :-) I still think that would be the best option, but I do also acknowledge that it would require other system updates to actually work. With the current system it just complicates things.

As it is at this moment we are using the numbering system, all credits should be entered in this way.

This is not entirely true, as this is a holdover from Discogs. But this is not Discogs proper and the staff has actually stated (see above) that a consensus has not been made.

Here is the direct link where it was stated by staff:
https://www.bookogs.com/forum/529251-copy-to-draft-profile-name-identifiers-split-info-works-by-and-works-about

With the current method of entry on the *ogs sites outside of Discogs, descriptive text is a much better solution than a number. There is no technical reason for only using numbers.

Maybe a vote should be held to determine this. At this time, there are three users on this thread in favor of using descriptive text.

I will concede to the method that is decided, but the decision will need to be confirmed by the staff.

To further the case for descriptive text, I will use Wikipedia as an example.

For multiple credits with the same name, Wikipedia will have a disambiguation page.
We'll use Robert Smith for this example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smith

A similar page could be created here and at the top would say, "do link link to this page, but to a credit listed below" (or something like that) - I've seen these pages on Discogs too.

This would work better than having to find Robert Smith (29) after opening each page to find the specific one.

In addition to not being really helpful, the numbers also create a false impression of hierarchy.

Also this.

I agree totally - instead of using the discogs numbering system, lets improve on it! Great example from wikipedia by the way.
Thank-you

I don't like the numbering system either, mainly because of the false hierarchy impression. Also, I would like to see some kind of disambiguation function or page.

But, one problem I can see is that a lot of credits exist in name only and there's not enough data available to determine if the persons are the same or different. For instance: Book A shows Robert Smith as Designer. Book B shows Robert Smith as Illustrator. Book C shows Robert Smith as having a photo credit. They could be the same person, but without more information, you can't be sure.

Perhaps a type of hybrid system could be worked out. On the obvious credits where a lot of information is available, a descriptive text system could be used. And, on the low information credits, we could keep the numbers. At some future time, when more information becomes available for a specific credit, it could be changed from a number to a descriptive text.

I don't see the point in replacing one flawed system with the another.
Making credits with someones or somethings name and putting (Band) or (Author) behind it won't work. It will be just as confusing and just as difficult to find what you are looking for as more credits and people with the same name start to get entered to the database another problem would be to change all the credits with a suffix, how many do we have? Hundreds, thousands? That's a huge job to take on. Who's going to do it?

Some users have suggested not having suffix at all

Well, that's what the idea of a free text field as description field is about. No suffix, but an attached field. I don't know if this can or will be realized.

For multiple credits with the same name, Wikipedia will have a disambiguation page.

2nd best idea imo: suffixes plus disambiguation page

But for sure everything with an additional description is much better than the numbering system.

Maybe the staff could tell us what they are able to implement and what they can't.

We don’t believe the numbering system is the best way to go. I believe its existence on Discogs is a remnant of (old) technological constraints rather than it being a good user interface. It being in the guidelines on Bookogs is similarily a remnant of those being copied from Discogs. If people are in agreement with going ahead without the numbering system we will update the guidelines

We are thinking of good ways of making it easier to distinguish between entities with the same name (a lot of good ideas in this thread, thanks for the feedback). In the meantime perhaps disambiguation parentheses might help?

I think before anything is decided whatever new system is chosen and it's looking like that's what people want we need to look into the future to see what problems it might entail and what do we do with all the suffixes? Do you know how many we have in the database at the moment? How big a task will it be to change all those credits correctly to the new system? Will that task be taken care of by developers or will it be a contributor task?
So far I have not heard any idea that has been proposed that I think will work. I like the idea of the Wikipedia style disambiguation page that someone suggested.
How possible and realistic would that proposal be?
Jay

In the meantime perhaps disambiguation parentheses might help?

Sounds good to me at least, especially if it's a temporary solution. I think a description would work better than a number.

But as suggested, I think we can also keep the numbers as a secondary system, that way we're not in a hurry to change them all, and we are not forcing anyone to do extensive research.

Anyone have ideas what to use for Works?

Anyone have ideas what to use for Works?
I think the numbering works well for the work pages. The artists are also seen in the lists and we already agreed to the suffixes for the case of the same name for a collection and a i.e. short story or poem.
We will have some work titles that contain dozens of entries but a search for title + author should work well here.

In the meantime perhaps disambiguation parentheses might help?

Yes, but since we are still in an embryonic stage of the database (this will easily reach the number of - don't laugh - 100.000.000 entries, if it will be successful), we can also just wait a bit until we have a final solution. At the moment it doesn't really matter, which system we use.

I think the numbering works well for the work pages. The artists are also seen in the lists

The site search results are only part of the problem. If we really want these solutions to help with submitting, the descriptions also have to be visible in the auto fill fields in the submission form. Currently the Works field in the submission form is no different from the other credit fields: it shows just the title(s).

Anyway, I don't think the numbers are a good system for either credits or works, and I'm glad the staff is looking for a way to get rid of it.

The site search results are only part of the problem. If we really want these solutions to help with submitting, the descriptions also have to be visible in the auto fill fields in the submission form.

Hmm maybe I'm just used to have a second open window too search the correct credit page ;-)
You're right of course. When you are in the submitting process, the autofill info is no help at all in these cases.

I think before anything is decided whatever new system is chosen and it's looking like that's what people want we need to look into the future to see what problems it might entail and what do we do with all the suffixes?

Wikipedia uses the named suffix system and it seems to be pretty good. It's one of the largest and most visited sources of knowledge on the internet.

How big a task will it be to change all those credits correctly to the new system?

It doesn't have to be a task at all.
A numbered or named suffix has the same task: to differentiate between two or more credits with the same name.
Therefore, numbered and named suffixes can exist in harmony.

Numbered suffixes can stay as is and be changed when and if necessary.
It's already been mentioned in this thread by kitchi-gummi and mirva, and a really great idea.

An imagined guideline:
- Use named suffixes for credits that are established. I'd use Wikipedia as a guide for this.
- Use numbered suffixes for unknown or less known credits. As more books/information is added, these credits may be updated, expanded, and/or changed.

The named method would work perfectly with the issue on the other thread.
https://www.bookogs.com/forum/531126-what-is-the-current-practice-with-credit-hijacking-in-this-database
No guessing which credit is the correct one.
Visions and Visions (2)
vs.
Visions (Magazine) and Visions (Publisher Series)

@Supernaut1970:

Do you know how many we have in the database at the moment?

There seem to be around 2000 things in the db that end with a parenthesis with a number inside. But some of those seem to be indicating a year, rather than using a Discogs like numbering system.

Will that task be taken care of by developers or will it be a contributor task?

We could write a script to bulk update the titles, but that's a rather blunt instrument. We could also list them for users to edit. It doesn't feel too time sensitive or urgent to me though, we can take our time. Another difference with Bookogs from Discogs is that we aren't restrained from renaming things (again and again if we want to). Older links will still work and redirect to the correctly named page.

Another thing we could do would be to more prominently feature the id of the credit/entity. This is the number before the name in the url. In a way that number already disambiguates between entities (albeit with a longer number)

Hmm maybe I'm just used to have a second open window too search the correct credit page ;-)

I do that too, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. ;-)

There seem to be around 2000 things in the db that end with a parenthesis with a number inside.

I don't think that's too bad, even though we also have to count the first entry too, which is numberless, so the actual amount is a bit more.

Another thing we could do would be to more prominently feature the id of the credit/entity.

Sure, as long as it's not the whole solution. The id is as descriptive as the number in parentheses. :-)

I went ahead and changed the two Visions credits with text descriptors.

https://www.bookogs.com/credit/48705-visions-magazine
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/530531-visions-publisher-series

Hopefully, if there are any disputes, the staff will defend the decision after the discussion on this thread.

😃

best solution for the moment I think, thx ;-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.