I add these times some old punk zines, and i wonder why discogs didn't create a database dedicated to mags and zines, instead of one for both periodicals and books.

I usually add magazines including novellas, poems. I like those authors, writers are appearing together here. This can be one reason.

sure, you're right, this is a good reason.

I'm still not sure if I would have preferred a separate database for mags / zines like there is for comics. I know some people have commented that it would have been better for comics to have been included here as there are often 'crossover' publications.

Yes, like the two comics on this page.
Additionaly, newspapers are not allowed here, this is a bit problematic, that's why a DB for mags/zines/news and another for books/comics would have been more logic.
foxmulder's argument is interesting, but what about all the music books (or mags) entered here? the links with Discogs is easy even books and records don't appear at the same place.

sorry "like the two comics on this page. https://www.bookogs.com/credit/69556-francois-bourgeon"

when will we have the edit function in forums?

I think the future should look more like a fusion between the databases rather than another separation. The conflicts about the true nature of a medium, as we have seen it with comics/books, will grow in the future.
In the end, i don't think there are objective answers on such topics.
Doing more splitting will, in my opinion, intensify the disputes and the work.
There are already lots of credits with both an bookogs and discogs, or even a filmogs and comicogs instance. I think this is an unsatisfying situation with loads of redundant work for the users.

I would like to see one database with different forms depending on the medium someone is about to submit and an option to merge forms for special cases. But how to name it? Ominiogs?

I also feel that comics should belong in Bookogs. It is a book right? You can read it. It is just a different format.
Also the two combined creates a much larger database and should attract more people.

There is so much cross-over in these databases. I collect rock and roll related stuff. I'd like a meta-database (or meta query engine) for all kinds of collectibles. If it is a book, a poster, a gig flyer, a comic, a record, a CD, a DVD, a wire recording, a set list, sheet music, autographs, I collect it.

It can be one database or separate databases. From a technical viewpoint, as long as you've conducted a data-mapping exercise, defined the overall data model and data map, you can write software that will query across multiple databases and return one "collection".

I know I'm new to these forums, but I've collected memorabilia for 35 years, and designed computer software and databases for nearly 50 years. So, I have opinions, and I'm retired, so I have time to opinionate. LOL

I also feel that comics should belong in Bookogs. It is a book right? You can read it. It is just a different format. Also the two combined creates a much larger database and should attract more people.

Agreed, not to mention that some of the biggest competitors also allow comics. They often disallow single issues but allow graphic novels and collected trade paperbacks. So allowing it all here could've been one of things that made this place better than the others.

But, all these arguments were made pretty much in the beginning when both databases were started, and the staff still felt that they should be kept separate, so I don't think they are going to change that.

software that will query across multiple databases and return one "collection".

Yeah, I think that would be a good option, wouldn't have to navigate through the different websites. Have one dashboard, "My Ogs", or whatever you want to call it.

I would like to see one database

+1

Additionaly, newspapers are not allowed here

I only found a bit related part in Wiki (actually about comics):
"Magazines or journals should be entered into Bookogs, as they would at your local library."
It is then Newspapers not allowed here? Unfortunately I don't find any source about this issue. Thanks

This is the thread about newspapers.
https://www.bookogs.com/forum/496090-newspapers

Thanks, Supernaut1970. I am bit unhappy. I will carry on this issue in that very thread.

You're welcome.

I also feel that comics should belong in Bookogs

I can understand that. I wasn't part of the decision to make them separate databases, but I'm assuming it was based on the different ways you would catalog a book vs. a comic / collection

I think the future should look more like a fusion between the databases rather than another separation.

This is also how we're thinking about the future of the 'ogs and how they all fit together. Last year we were pushing to get more 'ogs links on Discogs' artist pages, and it's a theme we're keeping in mind as we move forward.

It's great to hear your thoughts and ideas about how you'd like to use the 'ogs sites now and in the long-term. Feel free to keep your suggestions coming here.

I think the future should look more like a fusion between the databases rather than another separation.

This is also how we're thinking about the future of the 'ogs and how they all fit together.

I like the fact that here at Bookogs companies are credits too, no matter in which function, not separated, like Discogs (Label / Artist), Filmogs (Company / Credit) and Comicogs (Publisher / Credit). Just wonder how that should ever be coordinated between the databases.

For this database, when should Magazine be used, and when can Zine be used? The line is becoming blurred. Back in the day, zines like Sniffing Glue, OutASite, Punk were characterized by being enthusiast written and edited, with intermittent frequency, cheap printing (mimeographed or xeroxed), with some counterculture orientation, i.e. not produced by a corporation for profit, like, say, Teen Beat.

Yeezy has produced what he says is a zine, but very slick and expensively produced for the sole purpose of selling his brand.

On the other hand, Mike Stax produces an extremely nice and well-printed (even slick) zine called Ugly Things, but it's a fan effort, and Plastic Crimewave produced a semi-prozine called Galactic Zoo Dossier, which has in-between quality content printing, a semi-glossy cover, trading cards, and cassettes/CDs included. Two definitely, fan-oriented efforts, but pretty high quality.

So, what are the criteria? I see some obvious mags entered as zines, and some obvious zines entered as mags. Is there a need for both classifications if the terms are not well defined?

I think there's a difference between a magazine and a zine, even though sometimes the higher end zines can be mistaken as magazines. But I think it's still important to have both classifications.

I see some obvious mags entered as zines, and some obvious zines entered as mags.

Could you post some examples? I went through 15 pages of magazines and zines and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

Magazines and Zines are clearly two different things IMHO

I add sometimes some comics on Comicogs and i clearly see that this database is by far less active than Bookogs. I also think that comicogs and bookogs can easily be merged. After all, a comics is more a book than a magazine. Infos are the same.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.