I see the cover date of a magazine is often added as the publication date on the Work page ("First Published"). Many magazines do get published prior to the cover date, for example a July issue can come out already in June.

Is there a preference which should be entered to the date field, the cover date, or the actual publishing date (if known)?

Is this for literary magazines that publish stories, prose etc. that could be considered works?

Can you post an example?

Is this for literary magazines that publish stories, prose etc. that could be considered works?

Yes. I don't have an exact example right now, but I've ran into it a couple of times, and was reminded of it when submitting Weird Tales issues. The first issue (which is not yet in the database) has a cover date of March 1923 but was already out in February.

I remember another case where a January issue was already out in December, meaning even the year was different. I can't recall now which Work it was though.

As this is nothing out of the ordinary, I was wondering how to best reflect this. I was thinking about entering the actual publishing date as the "First Published" date, and explain the rest in the Notes, but this would also create an inconsistency with a lot of the other works that have the cover date as the "First Published" date.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.