I just created the Work credit for Utopia. This book was originally published in Latin with the title "Libellus vere aureus, nec minus salutaris quam festivus, de optimo rei publicae statu deque nova insula Utopia".

I know that Work credits are normally created using the original language title, but I think in this case the English title is the most commonly known.

If anyone has a problem with that then I will retitle it to the Latin name.

"Libellus vere aureus, nec minus salutaris quam festivus" is 16th century hype language :)
At the moment, i'm with you, but a lot of works have titles like that, especially the Latin and German ones. Further contributions will bring up some questions where to draw the line. I think in the long run, we should insist on full original titles but there has to be a working redirection like on wikipedia.

I also think that in general the primary name for a Work should be the original title, but we should also think about usability. If it's clear that the original title is causing more trouble than its worth, then another version of the title should be used instead.

As in this case very few would find the work if we used the original title, I think it's ok to use "Utopia" as that's how it's known in multiple languages.

It is rather a mouthful. Thanks for the replies.

It is rather a mouthful. Thanks for the replies.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.