I'm a little confused (and lost in translation) about some credits and google has conspired against me.
What are the differences between
Production Manager/Director,
Production Supervisor,
Manufacturing Supervisor/Manager
Manufacturing Director
?

In the company I work for, the hierarchy is following (highest to lowest): Production Director > Production Manager > Production Supervisor. They are all management positions, so the tasks probably vary from company to company. Also, not all companies have all of the positions.

As these are all separate roles, I've never been a fan of the combined credits.

Thanks,for the reply, So I was right in my fears that it will not be so easy.

This is my problem:
in German, we have the common credit Herstellung (translates to production and to manufacturing likewise), which is a shortcut of Verlagsherstellung (Google translates it to 'production in publishing'). According to Wikipedia, the person who does the Herstellung conveys between the individual departments of the publisher and external service providers and is responsible for the planning, coordination and quality control of the single steps of the physical production.

In the past, i took "Manufacturing Supervisor/Manager" to credit Herstellung if a person is listed and "Manufacturing by" if it's a company. But is this correct or would one of the production credits be more accurate?

"Manufacturing Supervisor/Manager" to credit Herstellung if a person is listed and "Manufacturing by" if it's a company. But is this correct or would one of the production credits be more accurate?

AFAIK, manufacturing is the process of turning raw materials into a tangible product, either by machinery or by hand, while production deals with both intangible and tangible resources/products. So, manufacturing is a type of production. For example, as the company I work for creates an intangible product, we use the production titles. Using the manufacturing ones would make no sense.

So, if the person is directly involved, for example, in the printing process of a book, then I think it's pretty safe to use the manufacturing credits. Otherwise I would use one of the production credits.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.