I am currently creating Works for a number of science fiction authors and I am constantly encountering the situation where a novel was first published in a magazine and later retitled for publication in book form. This poses some problems with the Work credit title.

Scenario 1: The story/novel was revised and expanded for publication in book form.
Solution: create two Work credits and hyperlink the two versions in Notes.

Scenario 2: The original title was only used once and the new title is commonly known.
Solution: create a Work credit for the latter title and just mention the original title in the Notes.

Scenario 3: The original title and the new title are both in common usage.
Solution: create a Work for the original title and NV any books with the new title to it.

And then there is this:
Frank Herbert wrote a novel titled Under Pressure which was first serialised in Astounding Science Fiction, November 1955-January 1956. It was then reworked and published in book form titled The Dragon in the Sea (1956).

Initially I thought the solution was scenario 1, but the problem is some books have used the title Under Pressure when the content is really The Dragon in the Sea.

Do I NV these books to the Work credit for The Dragon in the Sea or use Under Pressure?

This is something I have come across also and I think the best way is to keep one works and use NV, the most common title as the main title and include both hyperlinks (if we have them) and explain in the notes.

Thanks Supernaut1970. What I really want answered is how to treat the Frank Herbert book that I commented on.

The way you have done the works looks great to me. It's got all the info in the notes and a link to the original version and Under Pressure links to the Dragon Sea.

That is not quite the answer I want. There might too much information, so I will separate the question.

Frank Herbert wrote a novel titled Under Pressure which was first serialised in Astounding Science Fiction, November 1955-January 1956. It was then reworked and published in book form titled The Dragon in the Sea (1956).

I have created a Work for both Under Pressure, and another for The Dragon in the Sea.

The problem I have is there is a book in the database titled Under Pressure which appears to have the content of The Dragon in the Sea.

Would you use the Under Pressure Work or would you NV it to The Dragon in the Sea Work?

I suppose it would be best to use the Under Pressure works for the book of the same name and explain in notes and leave hyperlink.to The Dragon in the Sea.

If the content is The Dragon in the Sea, the works should be The Dragon in the Sea too.
Why should a book containing one, be listed on the other?

It was then reworked and published in book form

From what I could gather, it was only slightly reworked - I'm not sure if it necessarily warrants for two different Work entries. Most sources seem to treat them the same, so I would support having just one Work.

Not sure which title is more common, so I would just use the original title. There is a third title too, 21st Century Sub.

I don't know why I didn't consult ifsdb, because I use it all the time: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?8143

mirva I think what you have suggested is correct. Thanks for all the replies.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.