Sorry,

Series in my opinion should be used to list the sub-Series of Publisher Series by the Publisher. As, for example, we can also distinguish from the cover of:

Ai Confini della Realtà
Publisher : Mondadori
Publisher Series: Urania
Series: Le Antologie
Series Number: 1139

A series should be a succession of titles identified with an increasing Serial Number.

Foe exemple, Robert Langdon it should not be a Series but the Subject, the person protagonist or the topic considered in the book.

If I'm wrong, explain to me how I should correct .... Thanks.

The role of series has traditionally been used on Bookogs for books by the same author that share certain characteristics (this definition is also used on other book sites). Keep in mind that occasionally a book series has been continued by another author, or authors. Some examples of famous book series include: James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter, Maigret, etc. It is true that prior to the introduction of some additional roles on Bookogs the Series role was used in various ways, but the definition has been refined.

The Publisher Series role is used to collect a series produced by a publisher. Urania is a series produced by the publisher Mondadori, therefore it is a Publisher Series. I'm not familiar with Le Antologie, but from I can understand it could be described as a sub-publisher series of Urania. To mark it as a series implies that this is a book series by an author. That would be incorrect as it is a series produced by the publisher.

The About/Subject role is used on this site to collect books that include references to a particular subject. This can be wide ranging and might include links to musical artists, celebrities, countries, historical events, and so on.

I made an error:

The Publisher Series role is used to collect a series produced by a publisher. Urania is a series produced by the publisher Mondadori, therefore it is a Publisher Series. I'm not familiar with Le Antologie, but from what I can understand it could be described as a sub-publisher series of Urania. To mark it as a series implies that this is a book series by an author. That would be incorrect as it is a series produced by the publisher.

The day I can edit my comments in the Forum will be joyous occasion!

Just to be clear: Urania is a Publisher Series, and Le Antologie is also a Publisher Series. Obviously we don't have a Sub-Publisher Series role.

If you know more about Le Antologie then it would be helpful to explain how this fits in with the Urania Publisher Series. For example, was Le Antologie used for a certain genre of science fiction book or particular authors?

Sorry, watch Urania and external links.

In Italy the division of the Publisher Series into "sub-Series" is often used.

Sub-series of publisher series are known in Germany too (Exquisit), but to me, those are still publisher series, not series

They look at the credits list, credits with "Series" refer to publishing houses and publishing roles (Secretary, Editor, Designer, etc.), do not refer to the topic or to the protagonist of the book. I understood this way.

A publisher series is commonly referred to as a series, but for the purposes of Bookogs we differentiate a series by a publisher and a series by an author. That is the method we have employed and it is generally understood by most users.

I realise that if English is not your native language understanding some of these terms can be difficult, but there is a system and it needs to be followed.

BadMoon mentioned one German example, but I know GruenerTee has done an incredible job setting up the publisher series Reclams Universal-Bibliothek which has numerous sub-publisher series, so this situation is not unique.

I have just noticed you are still changing Publisher Series to Series as recently as an hour ago, which I find incredible because this Forum discussion is still in progress. What part of undiscussed mass edit don't you understand. You are breaking the rules and you are starting to annoy other users. Stop what you are doing or I will file a support request citing a breach of the guidelines.

I also notice that you have been changing the publisher name on a number of books.

The publisher name is usually shown on the colophon (credit page). This name can differ from what is shown on the cover. For example, the publisher name in full might be Arnoldo Mondadori Editore, whereas Mondadori could be the imprint. If you don't have the physical book then it can be difficult to determine what is correct. In these situations you just have to rely on the ability of the user submitting the book. You can't just go change this information based on your own preferences.

The first "Mondadori" books and "Mondadori" and "Arnoldo Mondadori S.p.A." credit were introduced before "Arnoldo Mondadori Editore" inserted 3 weeks ago, but nobody has made this problem.
I tried to contribute by putting order but in this site you can not .... I do not think I made a big mistake. sorry!

I don't know much about this company and I don't doubt you know a great deal more than I.

What I did notice is I just received a large number of notifications with a particular user reverting your edits and commenting that you are a serial vandal. I have just sent a private message to you explaining why it is not a good idea to conduct mass edits without prior consultation. I'm sure you mean well, but it is not a good idea to aggravate other users.

Urania is a Publisher Series, and Le Antologie is also a Publisher Series. Obviously we don't have a Sub-Publisher Series role.

I'm actually a little confused whether Urania is a magazine or series of books. Especially literary periodicals come in many forms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urania_(magazine)
http://www.mondadori.com/about-us/our-history/year-1952

A lot of the covers have terms such as "quattordicinale" (quarterly), "mensile" (monthly) on the cover, suggesting they are periodicals.

I tried to contribute by putting order but in this site you can not .... I do not think I made a big mistake. sorry!

The "Series" credited is an established feature on Bookogs, unfortunately it is not used in the way you've thought. No problem, those things happen every day. But if you are the only user here, who credits "Series" not in the way it's meant to be (again: on Bookogs) it's not putting order!

The publishing industry does not work the same way in all parts of the world
.... it seems to me that you do not want to read the history of the various Italian publishing houses and how they organize their series of publications.

mirva : The first publication was "I Romanzi Di Urania", a bi-monthly magazine (1952) and a few weeks later there was the launch of "Urania", a monthly magazine with stories, articles on the model of American magazines. This lasted only 14 numbers. After the closure of the magazine, from the number 153 the format adopted was that of pocket books.

I will no longer use "Series" as a credit, this I understood, even if I consider it wrong.

Are there other Italian users who could maybe help with this?

After the closure of the magazine, from the number 153 the format adopted was that of pocket books.

Yeah, I read the article, but it seems that a lot later books use the periodical terms quattordicinale/mensile. Periodical pocket books?

Looking at http://www.mondourania.com/urania/uraniaelencopagine.htm as well makes it seem more like periodical.

There are other issues here as well: The "sub-series" don't have sequential numbering - the numbering is for Urania. For example #1001 is "I Romanzi", while #1002 is "I Capolavori", and #1003 is "Le Antologie".

In addition to Mondo Urania, another collector's website, Urania Mania, does not mention these at all - do you know why? Maybe they are more indication of the type/content than an actual series?
http://www.uraniamania.com/index.php?action=collane

I'm sorry if I have a lot of questions - I'm just trying to understand, and my Italian is more than rusty. :)

Yes, there are periodic pocket books.

Many Italian publishing houses use the periodic releases for their series. Many times they also use weekly and monthly magazines in combination.

Yes, they are more indication of the type/content than an actual series.
The distinguished Anthologies (collection of works), The Novels and The Masterpieces.
Sometimes they are reprints of previous issues, but the numbering of the series continues to be growing with each publication.

Also I have a bad English.

As you can see, a Publisher Series of an Italian publishing company hides an infinity of sub-Series. This applies to almost all publishers. It is difficult

periodic pocket books

Then you could possibly use the "Periodical Title" credit ("titolo del periodico"?) for Urania instead of Publisher Series. But I would like some more opinions on this, as I'm not certain.

Also I have a bad English.

No worries. English isn't my first language either. :-)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.