Just a thought, as I am editing more and more stuff, I keep coming across badly uploaded images (I know, mine are not perfect)..can I have permission to re-crop them? Is it allowed?
I feel its something I can do as I am editing..and can I remove watermarked images?

According to guidelines watermarked images are forbidden, so you can remove those.

I'm not sure about re-cropping - how "bad" are the images that you're talking about?

Nothing serious most are like this, just a trim around the edges.

https://www.bookogs.com/book/366717-alicante-alimentacion-y-sociedad

I don't think that's horrible, but I also wouldn't mind that being cropped a bit more. I like a tiny bit of extra space around the edges of the book, I think it shows the format better, but as it is a personal preference, I'm not sure if it's really needed. Hopefully others will chime in.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's just to tidy things up a bit, the better the site looks the more people will hopefully be attracted to it. Its more a by-product of editing if you know what I mean.

the better the site looks the more people will hopefully be attracted to it

I hope so too. I think that much space around the edges makes the place look like eBay instead of a database.

I just found this:
https://www.bookogs.com/wiki/image-guidelines-for-bookogs

It refers back to the Discogs guidelines for size and quality. The Discogs guidelines (13.1.8.) forbid re-uploading images as it causes quality loss. I wonder if that's the case here too? We might need staff clarification on this.

Indeed, that why I asked. let's wait for a staffer.

The Discogs guidelines (13.1.8.) forbid re-uploading images as it causes quality loss. I wonder if that's the case here too? We might need staff clarification on this.

I can assure you I did not take new photos when I created entries for spoken word LPs on Bookogs. I copied the existing Discogs photos, and transferred them.

I wouldn't have a problem with you tidying up that image or anything similar (I occasionally do it myself).

Watermarks are definitely banned under the guidelines and if you see any images displaying a watermark then disable them by all means. A watermark can imply copyright and we don't want anyone facing a lawsuit.

I not sure what that "re-uploading images as it causes quality loss" is all about because if you save an image at exactly the same size as the original, then the resolution has got to be the same. However, the staff might like to comment on that.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think cropping images is acceptable, I've also done it myself a few times. Mirva makes a couple of good points about being able to see the format better with a some space around the edges, but also that too much space can start to look a little Ebay. We trust your judgement here!
Uploading images from Discogs to Bookogs is totally fine, IMO. Not sure if you've tried it out, but you can even just drag the image over from one browser tab into the image uploader. We prefer original images, but images available under CC0 or that fall under fair use are acceptable.
Feel free to disable any watermarked images you come across too.

Nice one, thanks Falsepriest. I will crop em when I come across them.

Thanks for the clarification, falsepriest. :)

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.