How to Contact "staff"?
I've looked in the Wiki, but couldn't find it it.
so, does anyone know?
Thanx.

There should be a small 'bubble' in the bottom right corner that you can use to contact the team.

Thanx once again!

Ok, i've seen this symbol (a smilie face with no eyes) but i could never believe that it is used for contacting the staff. I thought it was used to send a cheeky message to a friend or something like that.

Perhaps you are a member of the staff since you have such great knowledge about this site.

And once again, Thanx for the HTLM thing.
it brought a completly new dimension to this site.

Thanx and all the best :)

Perhaps you are a member of the staff since you have such great knowledge about this site.

I've just been here too much and too long. ;-)

Please, stick arund for a while, i might need more help ;)

Since you're not in the staff, i'll ask the question you anyway, just to hear your thoughts.
It is to improve the author's page.
For now you just have Books if you open an Authors page.
I would like to add Works as well as an option. i have no intrest in to know how many books that are released by an author, but my intrest is how many works the author has done. Are you following me?

Then if you open the works page you should be abel to select country to see every release from each country (again i have no intrest in how many books that are released in Taiwan or Spain). This option should simplify it for the general user who are just adding releases to their collection.

any thoughts on this or do you think i'm just plain stupid ;)

I would like to add Works as well as an option. i have no intrest in to know how many books that are released by an author, but my intrest is how many works the author has done. Are you following me?

I know exactly what you mean, and it has been already requested by others too (including me). Hopefully the staff is listening. :)

Then if you open the works page you should be able to select country to see every release from each country

I think language would be better as the "publication location" field is not that controlled (you can enter a city, a state, a country, or any combination), but there has been some talk about having some more sorting options on the author pages.

Yes please, works on the author's page would be great. I presume that is something we aim to have? The easier it is to find and group stuff the more people will be attracted to using the site.

We are listening ;)

Works on author pages is something we do indeed want to do. We just want to implement the possibility of filtering by types (and other criteria) on author pages first. This is on our roadmap. Stay tuned.

Excellent. I am looking forward to more database improvements. We can make this work and build a database to be proud of.

I'm glad to hear that too, and looking forward to the updates. :-)

I see the Format is now a mandatory field.

That is great for new submissions but it makes retrospective editing nigh impossible, such as adding Work credits.

To give an example. I want to add the Work credit to: https://www.bookogs.com/book/383062-la-cancion-del-verdugo

The Format has not been recorded, it is a Spanish edition with no ISBN and minimum other detail. I would have to spend quite a bit of time researching this book (with the real likelihood I would be wasting my time) trying to work out the Format. Effectively, no one can edit this book unless they know the Format.

Good catch, SextonBlake. We've added a few mandatory fields, including format, language, and at least one credit. Unfortunately we can't separate what's mandatory in the submission form from the edit form, so if one of these fields are not included in the original submission, it will need to be added before you can save your edits.
We've added an 'Unknown' option to the Format dropdown menu for instances where you're making an edit on a submission where the format hasn't previously been saved and it's unclear what that format is. When using Unknown in the format field, please be clear in the submission notes that it was used to complete an edit and that the format is in need of correction.
If you receive a notification about one of your previous submissions needing a format correction, please add it in. We know this isn't a perfect solution but we're hoping it will help. Happy to hear your feedback on this

Now for serious.
This is for the staff.
please fix a more easier way to connect releases from Bookogs to Discogs, or vice versa.
same goes for Filmogs.

What the helll, how hard could it be?
It should be enough to add The [r.......] to join the two sites
Why call it works or Film on different sites, just call it Master release as
we are used to(for those who use Discogs) ( and i bet we are few).

i guess you are the same provider of these sites, so i don't Believe it is so hard to join each site with Another
u should use
[b....] for Books
[c....] for Comics
[f....] for films
[g....] for games [fiction, in progress;)]
[m...] for Magazines call it Magogs or whatever, don't belong in Bookogs}
[r....] (already used) and very well !!!!!

Would it be so hard to make this and all of yor other sites to look like Discogs

It would be so much more easier for each user and the general public to access.

Why not connect each of the sites under one banner?
The OGS as a DB
from there you could choose where to enter your submission, be it Music, Films or Books or whatever that is published to the general public.

Am i wrong ? or am i just searching fr the perfect Database?

Thanx

Thanks for the feedback zamla_71. We really want to increase the crosslinking within the *ogs sites (Discogs included). You might have noticed that recently external links got added to all the different types of submissions. We plan to add better searching and linking there soon, making it easier to add links between the sites. Stay tuned.

Short-codes like the ones you mention are a good idea. But hard to do well. For instance one question with the way you suggest how you'd know which site they refer to, if I wrote [r123] does that refer to a release on Discogs or on Filmogs? Furthermore getting the ui and experience right there is tricky (the team working on the *ogs sites is small and we've got to prioritise).

Why call it works or Film on different sites, just call it Master release as we are used to(for those who use Discogs) ( and i bet we are few).

Every domain is different, people think of the abstract concept of master/work/film differently in each space. Some Discogs users may be used to the master concept but it is not immediately intuitive to everyone.

Why not connect each of the sites under one banner?

This is something we've considered and as mentioned earlier we want to improve the linking between the different sites. We think the each site makes sense on its own, but of course they can benefit from connections.

We really appreciate the suggestions though, we want to work on improving these sites with the contributors and users. So do keep them coming (and do call us when its deserved).

I had a thought about the crosslinking of the different *ogs sites.

It seems like it would be a mess if there is a separate "page" per credit/artist/actor/etc. on each *ogs site.

Each "credit" would need to be maintained individually.

For example, "The Beatles" have four "credit" pages across at least 4 *ogs sites:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/82730-The-Beatles
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/27996-the-beatles
https://www.filmo.gs/credit/102199-the-beatles
https://www.posterogs.com/subject/7834-the-beatles

Is there any talk amongst the staff to address this?

Is there any talk amongst the staff to address this?

Its something we've discussed. But as mentioned previously we think each site makes sense as their own thing. Which means that they'll each need their own structure and set up for entities like credits.

While there'll be a lot of credits that overlap ultimately the structure of the data for each site will be different and in the end most authors on bookogs wont be 1 to 1 matched on Filmogs or Posterogs and vice versa. The crosslinking should enable us to combine information from those sites in the future.

Happy to hear your feedback and thoughts though.

Hi.
I usually complain on this thread, but now i want to praise! To the Staff for all improvments of the site throughout the year. It's been great!!!!
The Works, The links and all other imps. Thank you.
Also thanx to all contributers and users for making this site a great Place.

Special Thanx to mirva and SextonBlake (wherever hen is, but i Think i know)
You have been very helpful.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

Thanx
zamla_71

I echo those statements. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the staff and contributors. Here's to a bumper year in 2019.

P.S. SextonBlake passes on his thanks zamla_71

Have a good one folks, the site gets better daily, I wonder what cool stuff the staff will give us next year?

Have a good one folks, the site gets better daily, I wonder what cool stuff the staff will give us next year?

How about a pay rise.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone!

Thank you very much for all your contributions, edits, linking, constructive discussions, and help with shaping the site and building this database! We really appreciate all your time and effort here.

Lots more coming in 2019, looking forward to another great year. Happy New Year all, and thanks again!

I have noticed a quirk with the author page filters. The Work filter can only be applied if you are on page 1, otherwise you just get a blank page (although it does correctly state the number of items in the database). However, this is not the case with the Book filter which works perfectly regardless of the page number that you apply it on.

Hello agian, Staff!

Thanx once again for all the improvments on Bookogs!

Now my question for you!
If i view my profile page i see that there are 21 items for sale.
I'm not a seller here on Bookogs.
i realize that 21 items of my contributions is for sale, but i have no intrest in that.
Some users who look at my profile may believe i'm selling those items.
Is there a way to get rid of them in the profile page?

Next Question!

on the profile page you can search your contributions by Title (A-Z), Title (Z-A), Latest Edits and Latest Addition.
Is there a way to do the seach easier, sort of by each Letter for example (A, B, C and so on) and Numbers (1, 2, 3 and so on).
it would be so much easier to check and link to each of the other "ogs" sites.

Thanx
//zamla_71

• one more thing!

Can we have the "1 2 3 ... 4 5 Next" bar on the top of the contribution section of the Profile page as well, so you don't have to scroll to the bottom of each page everytime?

Thanx
//zamla_71

Is there a way to get rid of them in the profile page?

No, there is no way to get rid of the marketplace filter, it is in place in all the views that have items for sale, so hopefully this will not confuse them. If users start receiving questions about selling items due to a misunderstanding based on this, maybe we can reconsider.

Is there a way to do the seach easier, sort of by each Letter for example (A, B, C and so on) and Numbers (1, 2, 3 and so on).

Hmm, I'm not sure I fully understand, but do you mean navigating to a specific place in the chosen sort rather than just by pages? We had not considered this and I'm not sure our current technical infrastructure would make it easy. Do you think this is an important feature?

so you don't have to scroll to the bottom of each page everytime?

Will make a note of this.

Thanks for the feedback zamla_71.

Hi kalli.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but i thought the problem would solved it self.

But is has not!

I have now 2000+ subs and if i want to do updates to a credit in let's say section M, there is a lot of scrolling down the pages to get there i want.

So instead of A-Z, it should be more afficiant to have the search by each letter, A,b,C, etc...

At least in my opinion it would be much easier to axxes your submitted credits and add to them.

And how about that toolbar on top of every page instead of scrolling down to the bottom.

Or is it another way i don't ow about!

Thanx

And one more thing.

You really need to know how to count.

for example take a look at the Sweden Rock Magazine page.

It is a total mess. I would like to get the issues in order ( like everybody else)

For example: you know that #2 / 2017 comes before #1 / 2018 right!

it doesn't on the homepage. all #1, #2 from each year comes before #3 of previos year.

So get your counting straight...

<h2 class="headertext" id="1">1</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="2">2</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="3-and-onward-this-counting-b4-enything-else">3... and onward (This counting b4 enything else</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2014">1 / 2014</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="2-2014">2 / 2014</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="3-2014-and-onward-then-sort-by-year">3 / 2014... and onward ( then sort by # / year)</h2>

Now it's like this (and i don't like it)

<h2 class="headertext" id="1-1">1</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2014-1">1 / 2014</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2015">1 / 2015</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2016">1 / 2016</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2017">1 / 2017</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2018">1 / 2018</h2> <h2 class="headertext" id="1-2019">1 / 2019</h2>

and then comes #10 of each year and after that comes #100and so on
before #2 appears.

I have seen fake numbers added just to get in chronicle order on the home page, like #0002 added ( #02 / 1967).

Is this the way we do it or will you sort it out?

Thanx

What a mess!
That was not my intention!

It all looked fine when i wrote it, but after sending it
was just a mess.

so here it is again:

1,2,3 and so on comes before 1 / 2014, 1 / 2015, 1 / 1 / 2016...

As we have it now:

1 / 2014
1 / 2015
1 / 2016 and so...
after that comes 10, 10 / 2014, 10 / 2015...and so on
and after that comes 100... and so on b4 2 comes.

Does this look better?

And one more thing again.

if you don't change the search field to each letter you wanna make
the A - Z field to A - Ö since this is an iternational site.

I know Å Ä and Ö wasen't as much needed at Discogs, but here we are talking about books, so it would be necessary.

Thanx.

@zamla_71

Magazine sorting / issue sorting is maddening to me as well.

It's even crazier that it hasn't been addressed over at Comigogs, as I can't think of any comic store, virtual or otherwise, that is NOT sorted by issue number.

I'm not going to take time to add issues there anymore until it is implemented.

I believe the number of magazines here on Bookogs is around 15% of total submissions, so it doesn't make sense that sorting is not one of the top priorities.

I've also added zeros to issue numbers and used reverse dating (example: 2019/06) to order a few magazines, as it sorts them by date correctly.
I'll happily change these once a mechanism is devised to sort magazines, but I doubt I'll add many more until it changes.

@sharpmath.

I haven't been on "Comicogs" yet, but i guess the problem is the same.

The number or number / year should be their primary target for sorting addtion / Collection.

otherwise is getting totally messed up.

We should not have to make fictinonal numbers up to meke the count right.

We have just added sorting by date. This uses the datefield, it should be consistent and not have the alphanumeric sorting issues you mention above.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any issues with it.

zamla_71 wrote:

if you don't change the search field to each letter you wanna make the A - Z field to A - Ö since this is an iternational site.

This is indeed going to get tricky with so many alphabets and symbols. A - Ö covers Nordic alphabets, but what about Cyrillic, Thai script, Pinyin. Etc. I think the sorting is consistent, even if the label isn't always descriptive (e.g. ö does come last: https://www.bookogs.com/credit/444103-hanuszek-bela?sort=title%2Cdesc )

kalli wrote:

This uses the datefield, it should be consistent

At least the issues on the Weird Tales page are not displayed in the correct order. Or is there some other issue there?
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/67325-weird-tales?sort=date%2Casc

First, I'd like to say thank you for beginning to address the date issue. It's especially important for periodicals.

-

Alternative Press magazine also is not sorted correctly by date.

https://www.bookogs.com/credit/182248-alternative-press?sort=date%2Casc

If sorted by title, they are in the correct order (because of the issue number in the title).

From the looks of it, they are not sorted by "Cover Date," but possibly by copyright.

Also, it made me notice that under each entry, it has book listed. I understand that these are submitted as a book (not a work or credit), but it's redunant. Would it be better to have a date or the format (magazine, hardcover, etc.) listed instead?

sharpmath wrote:

From the looks of it, they are not sorted by "Cover Date," but possibly by copyright.

Yes so this is a bit tricky and detailed.

When sorting ascending (Date, 0-9) they are sorted by the earliest date in all the dates for the submission and conversely when sorting descending (Date, 9-0) they are sorted by the latest dates in the submission.

But:

• dates that only have a year get assigned January first of that year
  • and dates that have a year and a month get assigned the first day of that month.

This means that for magazines that all have 2017 as the copyright date (year only). Their earliest date will all be 2017-01-01 for all of them thus sorting them descending will be out of order.

The example you link to for instance, is correctly sorted in the descending mode (because the cover date is the latest date and contains a month and is more precise).

https://www.bookogs.com/credit/182248-alternative-press?sort=date%2Cdesc

I'm not sure what is the best way to solve this. Maybe always sorting on the latest date is the way to go. We will look into it.

Yeah, that explains it. I think part of the problem is also that magazines are often published prior to the cover date, meaning the copyright year can be for the previous year for January issues.

Maybe there is a possibility to prioritize the different dates?

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.