We’ve made some improvements to the submission form to make it quicker and easier for you to add your books to the database. It’s just like the old one… but better.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Clearer format. Drop menus with images ensure that when you’re making a choice of something that already exists in the database, you’re selecting the right one. If you’re typing an identical credit, it will automatically be highlighted and can be tabbed through
- Any possible duplicates are flagged before they’re saved to the database, avoiding double work and overlap.
- Better preview of data from the right column
- Mandatory submission notes! Much requested, and very logical. Now if someone makes a change to something you’ve added to the database, you’ll know exactly what.
- Errors are highlighted in the form so they’re easier to identify and correct
- Drag and drop credits so you no longer have to click the same button 5x to get the bottom credit to the top

If prefer to stick with the old way of doing things, you can find a link to the previous version at the top of the submission form.
Thanks to our early testers whose feedback provided the basis for further tweaks. We hope you enjoy this new version of the form. Try it out and let us know what you think!

Just submitted my first book with the new format ---- I love it!
Well done!

The Title field is big enough to see a long title. Thank you.

Credits: If I type in a name into the Name field, and hit tab, the name disappears. I appreciate the warning about creating new names, but it seems overly-strict to require the user to click down to confirm the new name to keep it from disappearing suddenly.

Where do we enter ANVs?

@JT_X: thanks for the feedback. Re. the dropdowns we will investigate. Re the ANVs clicking the pencil icon to the right in the credits name field adds a name variation for that credit.

Still no preview of profile on credits. I'd really expected, this toppic would have been fixed in the progress.

How do we add ANVs to new names?

Like before, I guess: if the credit is created, an ANV can be added.

So it's impossible to include an ANV with the initial creation of a name?

Still no preview of profile on credits. I'd really expected, this toppic would have been fixed in the progress.

We hope to address this soon, the reason for this weird bug is tangentially related.

"So it's impossible to include an ANV with the initial creation of a name?"
Exactly.

I can no longer copy and paste author names. This makes adding an author credit that exists in the database, for example in Russian Cyrillic, or Arabic very difficult (if not impossible).

Looks great, thanks. Only glitch I've had so far is when choosing the 'preview' mode the screen just filled with the preview, I couldn't continue editing, nothing to scroll down to even when I pressed the 'preview' button again. So had to 'submit' then return back to editing. This has only happened once.

@westpier: above 'preview', there is 'edit' which leads you back to the form

I can no longer copy and paste author names. This makes adding an author credit that exists in the database, for example in Russian Cyrillic, or Arabic very difficult (if not impossible).

@Anaideia: Copy / pasting the names into the credit field should bring up the autocomplete and allow you to select the correct credit from the dropdown. I just tried it with some credits with Cyrillic letters and seemed to work fine. Can you be more specific or give direct examples of credits where that didn't work?

First submission done and it looks very helpful but I would suggest also to make previous changes visible (like for Discogs) because sometime there is still people adding "aaaa", or comments like that, as submission notes!
Another suggestion is to block the possibility to make an edit if there is already a user editing the same submission.

Can you be more specific or give direct examples of credits where that didn't work?

I thought this might be a Google Chrome problem, so I have just tried Safari and it is a similar matter.

If I copy a Russian Cyrillic name and then open a Works credit, for example, and then try to paste the name into the Author field (by right clicking my mouse), Paste is not presented as a menu option. I will add that I first click on the author field so that the cursor is blinking.

I have uploaded screen shots of what I am experiencing with both browsers, first image is Google Chrome and the second is Safari: https://imgur.com/a/Lda0M93

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or it is a browser problem.

I might add that I don't have any problems copy and pasting links into Websites.

Does Ctrl/Command+V work?

Thanks mirva, your suggestion works.

I am still interested to know why kalli can copy and paste with ease. Is it a browser issue? I will fire up my laptop that uses Firefox just to see how it performs. Maybe tomorrow sometime.

Maybe kalli was using the shortcuts. I just tried it out, and it's a bit weird. In general, if I go to the field and right click, I see the same menu you posted. Though if I go right on top of the blinking cursor and right click, I get a menu that has Paste in it.

The Works field seems to be behaving the same way - other fields are normal.

You are a miracle worker mirva. If I position right on the blinking cursor and right click, lo and behold I get the paste option. Thanks.

I am still interested to know why kalli can copy and paste with ease.

I was using the copy/paste shortcuts as well, not right clicking. I have the same issues with the right click. Good to know that keyboard shortcuts work but we will look into getting the right clicking to work as well. Thanks for the feedback!

@Umbe82: Thanks for those suggestions. Improving the historic / diff view is something we are looking into, hope to have it addressed soon(-ish). Two users editing at the same time is a bit trickier technically, but this has been mentioned by other users too, so perhaps we'll devote more time to that.

Also when I fill a part of a name in the field, then switch to another windows for something i forget then come back to the form to complete the name, I see that the field is empty.

If I filled the field with the new credit, clicked "create", and suddenly I realized it contains a typo, I cannot edit it, cannot copy it to remove and then paste it to correct.

Phasics I agree with your first comment as this quite annoying.

In regards to your second comment, if you create a Credit and you find the name is wrong, all you have to do is open the Credit and retitle it with the correct name.

I think he means before the entry is created in the database, but after you've entered the name in the field, and chosen "Create [Credit Name]". You can't edit the name after that, you basically have to delete it and write it again.

mirva, exactly this

another bug: I filled the ANV for a credit, saved the form. Then I decided to remove ANV for this credit, I cleared it, saved the form. And the credit appeared as * (asterisk), though in the edit submission form it contains the full credit name.

Thanks for the feedback, mirva, phasics and Anaideia, we will look into it.

I notice that the Format, Genre and Language in the book submission is now hyperlinked. I would love to see the full Language database as I have an inkling it could be in a bit of disarray.

Is it just me and my browser or i crediting an "Editor" for other a real pest too? I have to work through big dropdown menus all the time, showing me rare stuff like "Westcoast Editor" at first (by the way what is a Westcoast Editor"? :) )

oh and i think something like a save to draft option as on discogs would be nice.

I would like a draft option also - I have a lot of anthologies to do and they are hard to do in one sitting!

I agree a draft facility would be a bonus. I lost a whole heap of data last night due to a system glitch (not the first time this has happened). My advice to WiebeVancamp is if you are adding copious amounts of data, keep saving the submission to avoid losing your hard work.

West Coast Editor - an editor based in Los Angeles maybe????

Draft facility with autosave that is.

I've mentioned the need of a draft (cache / pending) function before and got the answer, that this is in development and should be available "soon".

I'm not sure if someone has brought this up already somewhere, but the search in the credit fields seems to have some problems with short names. I just tried entering "Michael Cox," and none of the relevant entries showed up on the list. (Michael Cox, Michael Cox (2), Michael C. Cox...)

That said, otherwise I've been really happy about the credit search. It is way more accurate than it used to be, and it's a lot easier to spot duplicates. :-)

mirva it has been discussed: https://www.bookogs.com/forum/421825-existing-subjects-dont-appear-in-drop-down

Ah, didn't realize that thread was about the same issue. Thanks. :-)

I see there has been an update... the form remembers the data you entered, even if you navigate from the page. This is much appreciated, thank you! :D

Glad you like (and noticed) it mirva. Hope this can save people some from some data loss frustration. We also hope to implement a more comprehensive draft functionality soon.

That would be even better, though even the current system helps a lot. I've lost a lot work because I've accidentally either navigated from the page/closed the tab, or my browser has frozen, so any preventive measure is much appreciated.

The remembering form seems to be a game of hazard!
Back into data loss frustration.

The remembering form seems to be a game of hazard!

Sorry to hear that. If you have more detailed information on how that happened it would be very helpful. Can also submit via our support chat bubble in the lower right corner

As I know now, it's not on the "add one like this" function.

My first submission done and I hope I got it right - ahhhh

I do agree that a "draft" would be nice

I just experienced the new Wiki page editor. What an improvement now that the whole page is on display. No chance of my getting lost trying to find the correct line to edit. Thanks.

Thanks SextonBlake. Happy to hear that!

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.