I've seen communities on the internet that are very fond of their manuals. Manuals for tractors and computers and software and kitchen appliances and everything in between.

I'm thinking these are not a good inclusion to the database unless they were published and for sale separately and contain identifiers like LCCN or ISBN or something. Your thoughts please.

Yeah this crossed my mind. I don't think they count, as you most manuals do not have any credits included or way of identifying between prints.

However things like Haynes manuals for motor vehicles are suitable as these do have an ISBN reference and a full set of writing/editing credits per release.

there are plenty of manuals that are in book form, including hardcover ones.

I think what you might be trying to distinguish is the difference between a very thorough manual published in book form and a manual that comes with a piece of technology that is more like ephemera?

"I think what you might be trying to distinguish is the difference between a very thorough manual published in book form and a manual that comes with a piece of technology that is more like ephemera?" -maldoror

Yes, those are the ones I'm talking about. Generally, the kind of item that would be shipped with a product, be it a coffee maker or a tractor. I feel those don't necessarily belong because the literature is not the primary focus, the item is and the literature is supplemental.

It's kind of like the Guideline we have a Discogs. Is audio a main focus? If not, then it probably doesn't belong.

Same here. Is the literature the main focus or is it supplemental?

I think it is the same as a previous discussion on not letting ephemera in the database. This isn't a database for every piece of paper ever printed on.

I've sent a private message to degm on Discogs to join us since he is the submitter of these manuals.

in my opinion only 3rd link doesn't feet to db, it's manual added to specific model of radio.
Rest are typical books: technology/education

That first link, according to Google translate is "Pneumatic measuring device of continuous action".

That seems to me to be a specific manual for a specific product.

It has serie "Library of authomatics" http://www.biblio.gs/credit/42903-Biblioteka-Po-Avtomatike
It has a price, usualy manuals are added free to specific models
It's kind of technological publications for various group of products published regulary.
But let's wait for OS answer

I see no problem for availability of these books on bibliogs.

"I see no problem for availability of these books on bibliogs."

As a community, we are actively trying to decide what is, and is not, a good fit for the database. The reason these were brought into question is because I felt that literature was not the main focus, the product was. Now, Gizmex has brought up a good point on a few of those manuals, that they might have been sold independently of products, and so I possibly stand corrected.

However, this one still brings me some concern as it was most likely issued with a record player and so the product is the main focus, not the literature. http://www.biblio.gs/book/43471-Instruktsiia-Dlia-Polzovaniia-Radioloi-Rekord-Model-52-g

I haven't seen feedback from management but as seen here I understand handbooks and user manuals printed and given away with the object (computer, calculator, Software CD, etc) are forbbiden here.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.