Listing and selling {{itemType}} in the Marketplace is now free for a limited time! Start Selling
MunnauQ
4 months ago
I'm considering adding my collection of books to biblio.gs. Can someone explain the advantages of biblio.gs compared to goodreads for example, where most of my books are already in the database?

Are there ideas to better connect discogs and bibliogs or to advertise bibliogs on discogs. I just came here by chance although I use discogs since 2006.
Auribus
4 months ago
Good question and an issue that I have been grappling with for the past three weeks since stumbling upon this site.

As I see it, the advantage that Bibliogs has over Goodreads, is that a submitted book should in theory have a lot more detail. As much of the data is linked, this information can be searched for in the individual databases, e.g. publisher, printer, etc. Also, the ability to add multiple images in addition to the cover image, allows for greater documentation of a book.

The other difference I have noticed is that this site embraces all publications, rather than just books.
MunnauQ
4 months ago
Thanks for your reply. I would really appreciate master publications similar to the master releases on discogs. The artist pages would get more structure and all the different versions of a book - another advantage in my opinion - could be seen in one seperate list. I think master releases were already mentioned in the forum. Does somebody know if there are plans to introduce them.

(Sorry if my english is not perfect).
Auribus
4 months ago
I also asked about the possibility of something similar to a master release and was directed to this forum thread: https://www.biblio.gs/forum/1038-Master-Releases

Apparently the format of a master release has not yet been settled upon. You may wish to add your thoughts to this discussion.

By the way, your English is excellent.
MunnauQ
4 months ago
Thanks :-) If someone needs help with translating information from german books, feel free to content me.

Ok, seems to be a question from many users. Hopefully this site developes fast and get a lot more users who submit.
p.adkins
4 months ago
My perspective, is that one advantage of Bibliogs is going to be the detail of information. Often it can be quite hard to identify specific editions using internet databases, especially with older pre-ISBN books. I sell some antiquarian books for a local charity and I imagine that should Bibliogs ever reach the height of Discogs, it would be indispensable for identifying editions, especially when the dating is not clear.

There will also be the advantage of being able to "click through" books in the same way I click through credits on Discogs, in the same way that I might want to know on what other records Johnny X played saxophone, eventually I will be able to see which other books William X designed the cover for. Or, to see a list of all the books for which Picasso's artwork has been used, etc.

I think the challenges facing the design of master releases is that it is a lot more complex than Discogs. Do you group together different translations? How about revised editions? And what about books like the Bible? And how do you make something like Hamlet navigable, when, eventually, it is likely to run into the thousands? I just hope the team behind Bibliogs don't rush into designing something that doesn't work.
ahr2nd
4 months ago
I think all of the advantages at this point are only promised. I know Discogs has greater priorities, but I would love if they dedicated a little more time to this site, if only to inspire morale.
mirva
4 months ago
I would love if they dedicated a little more time to this site, if only to inspire morale.
Same here. I think it's important, especially if they seriously want this site to be more than just a place for a small group of enthusiasts.
MunnauQ
4 months ago
After using biblio.gs for some days I totally agree that the detail of information could be the biggest advantage of this site. And it could be a great source especially for magazines. As many users come from discogs I would love to find many different old music magazines in great detail and jump from one to another just by the linked subjects etc..

But yes, I also agree that we need more contributors and keep those motivated who already joined the site. Only in Germany there are about 100.000 books (only frist printings) released a year - that gives us some idea of how challenging it is to build a broad worldwide database just by users. It needs a clear vision to ensure every user that his or her work is not for nothing.

ksdfjsldfj
4 months ago
@MunnauQ
Discogs spent about 10 years before turns global and, in many features it's still some electonic oriented. Just needs time.

About GoodRead, just check the Genres section, they have one named "Chick Lit" OMG, please!!!Gay and Lesbian is a genre? not a literature genre, Ebook is not a genre.

I think the future sucess of Bibliogs depends on accuracy how users and staff build this database to be atractive for book traders and collectors
ahr2nd
4 months ago
Gay and Lesbian isn't a genre per se, but it is a section that people are interested in, which is why most bookstores will have a section for gay and lesbian fiction (whatever the more accurate genre may be). When you're faced with a sea of stories featuring strictly heterosexual characters, it's a relief to find something written for you. "LGBT Studies," on the other hand, needs to be a genre. The same goes for "Queer Theory" which is, I would contend, a distinction worth making. (Not everyone who writes about, say, lesbian history utilizes queer theory. Some lesbian theorists are in fact hostile to what goes by queer theory. But, I digress.)

I think the best reason to neglect and rigorously exclude Goodreads is that it is an Amazon company, and Amazon is Satan Incarnate.

We also appear to have a number of books in Russian published in the former Soviet Union. I don't know where else you might turn for information like that (on English sites and databases, anyway!).
mirva
4 months ago
It needs a clear vision to ensure every user that his or her work is not for nothing.
Yeah, this seems to be a common concern. Unless you plan on spending all your free time here, I don't think an hour here and there really hurts anyone. :)

I just hope the team behind Bibliogs don't rush into designing something that doesn't work.
So far they've done a pretty good job. I think a lot of things are better and more flexible here than in Discogs.

But yes, I also agree that we need more contributors and keep those motivated who already joined the site.
Indeed. We have 1721 users but only a small fraction of them have contributed to the database. Activating them seems to be challenging, but I know some of them are waiting for the marketplace (or some other feature).

We would have a bit more activity if they allowed comics and graphic novels here too. ;-)
MunnauQ
4 months ago
"an hour here and there really hurts anyone" --> I agree on that and for me it's fun to contribute in the first place. Hope that more future users will think the same and help to build this site.

Marketplace would help to increase number of books but I can't imagine that they implement this in this early stage.

Just wonder why they don't promote their "new" sites more (i.e. via discogs)? (or didn't I take notice?)
ahr2nd
4 months ago
Allowing us to edit messages would also help to increase the number of books added, frankly.
  • {{list.count}}