What do you think? It would be bound catalog, like one I have of new releases for Victor records in December 1920.

As much as I'd like to see those kinds of things submitted, if we allow them, then we have to allow all kinds of catalogs and this is not a database of ephemera in my opinion.

Stuff like that I usually scan and submit to archive.org

I agree that at this stage in the database development I would rather focus on books, journal and magazines rather than catalogs.

Bringing this up again, I saw "Auction Catalog" in the genre list. Did the opinion change on catalogs, or is that referring to something else?

I feel that if those can be included here, the old record catalogs are even more valid for the database.

There is an option for 'Catalog' as I used it for this book:
http://www.biblio.gs/book/10488-BOY-Blackmail

I'm deciding on an individual basis whether catalog's I own are useful and worth submitting, the BOY catalog I thought was worthwhile but I have others such as independent UK mail order catalogs which I don't think useful.

I don't see why not--unless someone were to inundate the database with catalogs, which I don't see happening.

"I'm deciding on an individual basis whether catalog's I own are useful and worth submitting, the BOY catalog I thought was worthwhile but I have others such as independent UK mail order catalogs which I don't think useful." -westpier

I see all data here as being equal. If one catalog is allowed, then all should be allowed. Certainly, you have your own preferences as to what you will spend you time on submitting, but I don't think we can make the call that one item is more useful than another.

"I don't see why not--unless someone were to inundate the database with catalogs, which I don't see happening." -ahr2nd

This database is going to be massive in size once it gets going. I don't see catalogs dominating it even if thousands were submitted.

^^^All that said, I still don't believe that catalogs belong here.

I have to agree that catalogues aren't good to add here, just like pamphlets and brochures and other promotional material. That stuff can be for ephemero.gs

Looking at this item, I think it should be removed. Your opinions please:

https://www.biblio.gs/book/128750-Welcome-to-UNISON
https://www.biblio.gs/wiki/Releases-Not-Allowed-in-Bibliogs

my answer for adding it, from the other thread:

there's an entry in the genre for pamphlets.
so we need to either remove it or agree what constitutes a pamphlet and what doesn't. that entry, for example, is a small soft-covered pamphlet given out when you join that union. it tells you how the union operates and who to contact. it seemed appropriate. it has 59 pages, so it's not a flyer or anything. it's bigger than many magazines.

to which i'll add:

this is none of those things included in that list.

Bringing this up again, I saw "Auction Catalog" in the genre list.

Interesting. I have a National Geographic/Christie's auction catalog which I just found. I thought I could not submit it and left it in the box, but now I might have to go and get it...

If one catalog is allowed, then all should be allowed.

Agreed. Same with pamphlets. It's really hard to control artificial/subjective restrictions in an open database.

I have many art exhibition catalogs, and some of them are full-fledged books with essays and all, while some are just basically small leaflets with a couple of pages. Where one is supposed to draw the line?

If someone sees something worth submitting, considers it important, and it's even remotely relevant to the database, who are we to say it should be excluded?

If someone sees something worth submitting, considers it important, and it's even remotely relevant to the database, who are we to say it should be excluded?

A fair point, though, we do have to draw the line before someone starts submitting their Sunday morning church bulletins, right?

we do have to draw the line before someone starts submitting their Sunday morning church bulletins, right?

I don't know the details of what a church bulletin is (I'm an atheist), but do you think that someone would even submit something like that?

I think most users are quite reasonable, and do consider what they submit to the database. I mean we have very little other than books and magazines at the moment.

do you think that someone would even submit something like that?
Some folks have an obsession with archiving absolutely everything. So yes, I think someone would actually try it.

I think most users are quite reasonable
True, most are quite reasonable.

As catalogs are forbidden in db this one https://www.bookogs.com/book/246939-IKEA-2008-Catalog should be removed from dd

I've asked him to remove it. Don't know that he will as he is trying to sell it for
18 USD no less.

edit: I've also explained how to remove it in case he is more familiar with discogs & the inability to remove entries there but by raising the issue to admin.

Is there an appropriate time of OS not responding after which one can remove the submission?

The OS has removed the items in question on his own initiative.

Did it come in a flatpack?

What is a "flatpack"?
it was 2 Ikea catalogs; one 2008 and one 2009. They're thick, but they have them in the stores and they send them as "junk mail" if you've bought from one of their stores recently.

I think the EU has more strict consumer privacy protections in terms of retaining customer info and mass mailings of adverts, so I don't know that the term "junk mail" has any resonance outside the US.

Also had subbed & listed a manual for a HP printer, which I removed from the database, although iirc, it was still listed for sale yesterday.

Oh, that's pretty funny actually...

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.