20,000 publications?

Sound reasonable?

We should make it 20,160 for fun.

I think that sounds reasonable. There are a lot of holidays coming up, so we might not wanna aim too high. ;-)

It looks like we've passed it (and I still haven't entered any of the ones I've been planning to enter)

No, we're still at 18,039 publications submitted. We have a long way to go.

Where does one find that number? On the home page it says "21069 items".

See this image here: http://i.imgur.com/GhfHuzj.jpg

1. The highlighted area on the right is the amount of publications added.
  2. The highlighted area on the left is the amount of publications AND author/credit pages that have been updated.

When an author/credit page is first filled out with any kind of information, that is considered an addition to the database, or an 'item'. The "Credits" on the right side show that there are just under 60,000 at this time. So, 57,000 of them still need bios, photos, etc.

Thank you for explaining that. I guess I haven't really explored enough yet.

19,000 by the end of the week - what do you think?

How about 21,000 by the end of the year? Let's be ambitious!

I like 20,170

(or 21,000!)

19K has been reached by the end of this month, the goal looks do-able. I've just about scanned all of my physical books, going through my ebooks next.

I know that e-Books and e-Zines are allowed but I am so nervous. Make sure and put in a download URL or at least describe how you obtained the e-Book when submitting them.

I am adding the physical releases of ebooks I own, if that makes sense such as this great book:
https://www.biblio.gs/book/130937-Offbeat-British-Cinemas-Curiosities-Obscurities-and-Forgotten-Gems

I don't think we should be nervous about ebooks or ezines. What's there to worry about? There are already a lot of books that are digital only, and I think we should include them.

Let's do 21,000 then. We have slowed down a bit from the summer, but maybe we just need to remind people this place exists...

Are we allowed to give gifts to motivate people to submit more? ;-)

I want to submit more but I find that adding some books and journals takes me 4-5 hours each. Especially edited volumes with 20+ chapters where each chapter is authored by a different person and the book series had an editorial board with 20 people, and on and on. Yikes.

I want to submit more but I find that adding some books and journals takes me 4-5 hours each.

Same here, that's why I've been submitting my books for over a year, and I'm not even close to being done. But that's the price of trying to be even remotely thorough. I could just submit the basics and be done in a month, but...

Also I should've worded my post better - my intention was mainly to activate the users who are not submitting at all (that's probably 90% out of the 1,152 users), I think anyone who is already actively submitting is doing more than enough. :)

Do you think we can hit 20,000 by the end the week? Only 163 to go... :)

I'll do my part. I have a stack of magazines right next to me just waiting for a spare moment.

I've finally started adding some. My contributions do have bare basics right now, but I fully intend to go back and add photos of the cover and more information soon. I just wanted to add some and getthe hang of what I'm looking at and looking for. As I'm feeling more comfortable with it, I'll be more thorough.

I really, really, really think that making the collection feature more meaningful to users by updating the site would draw more people to the endeavor. As it stands, I get the impression that most users here are already Discogs fanatics (of course, I count myself as one). I think that if I were to enlist a friend, one who had not already sold his soul to Discogs, that he or she would be scratching her head. "Why can't I track how many pages I've read?"; "Where are the master-release pages?"; "Why can't I create groups within my collection, or sort by author, date, title?"; and on and on.

I look at the Discogs Facebook page and I see that they are preoccupied by marketing the website at this or that record fair--events that, let's be frank, few active users attend. I see 'blog posts' celebrating updates for an app that seems--to me--far clunkier than the mobile site. I understand it isn't lucrative (yet) to do so, but perhaps they could cater to the users who are desperately trying to make their new ventures work. I appreciate everything that seburns does for us, but is she the only staff member who's been assigned to us? And is there a timeline for additional features? It'd be nice--and, again, attractive to users, users who would, I imagine, sooner use Goodreads than deal with all of this--if Bibliogs were at least half as functional as Discogs.

All of that being said, I'm still committed. I haven't contributed as much as many other users, but I've decided to dedicate myself to a niche category, namely academic titles in the humanities, especially those informed by psychoanalysis. (I would love to be able to create a 'list' for such titles or, more simply, to browse the genre 'Psychoanalysis.') I suppose I just really, really, really do not want all of this work to have been in vain.

(I apologize for some of the pronoun-confusion in what I've written above, which brings me to another point: It'd be nice to be able to edit, too! That can't be too difficult to implement, right?)

I agree. The only reason I've started using this website is because I love discogs and I assumed that bibliogs will eventually be fully equivalent.

Features that make this site more usable as something other than a pure catalogue would certainly attract more (casual) users.
My guess is that they're working on a common ogs codebase and prioritizing features common to all ogs sites, and that they'll only release big updates.

"My guess is that they're working on a common ogs codebase and prioritizing features common to all ogs sites, and that they'll only release big updates."

I certainly hope so! That'd be great.

20, 000 books achieved.

Yay! :)

I am in the process of adding a ton of stuff (mostly old gaming and music magazines) which has been stored away at my parent's house. I have no way to add images at the moment, but I'm able to scan them later on as I gradually transfer them back to my place. I'm just mentioning this because I noticed a few low-res web images have been added instead.

Sorry about that Profoundemonium, I thought you had added them, but forgotten the images. I hope the logos are OK though. I've got some more mags to add as well, including Edge, Muzik, Ministry and Playstation magazines.

Don´t forget to add them to the "magazines on bibliogs" wiki ;)

I think 21,000 will be reached before the end of the year.

I think 21,000 will be reached before the end of the year.

Yeah, we're already getting close. :)

We smashed that target.

setting goals for 2017 :)

I hope we get lots of website updates this year. Master releases, submission history, merging & voting...

setting goals for 2017 :)

Double? 40,000? A little bit higher like 50,000? :)

I hope we get lots of website updates this year. Master releases, submission history, merging & voting...

Me too. :) Master release (or something like that) is very high on my wishlist too, as are many other updates listed here: https://www.biblio.gs/wiki/User-Requested-Features

Except IMVHO we don't need voting. It causes so much friction between users in Discogs that I'd rather not have it.

Double? 40,000? A little bit higher like 50,000? :)

Yes, let's do it. 50K.

50K sounds great. Do we want to shoot for about 4,167 submissions a month or make allowances for busier times of year?

One feature I would really hope to see this year is categories on author pages, so we can see which books are by them, which books they've edited, contributed to, are anthologised in, are about them etc.

Also I think categories should be broken down under different languages!

50K sounds great. Do we want to shoot for about 4,167 submissions a month or make allowances for busier times of year?

Well, I meant to get to 50,000 books total, which would mean approx 2,300 subs a month. I think even that is a lot...

Yeah, I don't think 50k extra submissions is realistic, 50k total is pretty ambitious already :D

Yeah, I don't think 50k extra submissions is realistic, 50k total is pretty ambitious already :D

I think it's important to be ambitious. What we do have is an amazing collection of books and magazines that are very personal collections that will only keep growing. Filmogs and Gearogs are getting a lot of support as well.

@mirva - You're right, I don't know what I was thinking - it would be about 2,300 submissions a month.

And please do not forget adding your old rare collection of fanzines, they all valuable: diy circulation

Just to mark the intervals for statistics:
February, 1, 2017
Credits 73,504
Books 23,074

March, 1, 2017
Credits 77,233
Books 24,424

Is it me, or are book submissions slowing down?

It happened last year too a couple of times. 1,350 is still pretty good IMO. :)

April, 1, 2017
Credits 79,351
Books 25,226

May, 1, 2017
Credits 82,807
Books 26,356

Looks like May is going to be a good month for submissions.
Phasics, you're doing a great job keeping us updated. Could you add number of users to your monthly total, so we can get an impression of how many people are joining the site?

Wow, we've submitted almost 1,000 publications in under two weeks. Keep it up!

This site will be bigger than Discogs, just time, remember this post :) tsivihcra
5/12/17

June, 1, 2017
Credits 88,683
Books 28,269
Users 1727

So, we submitted almost 2,000 publications in one month? Very nice!

Indeed!

Unfortunately, I have exhausted my modest personal library.

I might have to start loading up on library books from the public library. I once asked the librarian if there was a limit on the number of books that I could borrow at anyone time. Her reply was "no, in theory you could load the entire library collection into the back of a rental van if you wanted". If I take up her suggestion and get busy submitting, that could bolster the numbers for the month.

@Auribus You always may check online shops, flea markets, etc. Today I get five teenage books 1€ each, for my children. Also I use to check old fanzines or magazines. It's like collecting records.

My neighbors give me books for free.

tsivihcra I'm envious. My neighbours just give me dirty looks and throw the occasional empty beer bottle over the back fence. Now if they full bottles, I wouldn't mind.

July, 1, 2017
Books 29,403
Credits 91,930
Users 1792

We're so close to 30,000 - only 51 books to go!

I think I've just added the eight books leading up to 30,000.

http://i.imgur.com/0irJ2ta.png

Order:
29,993. Ed. Satsuki Kawano, Glenda S. Roberts, Susan Orpett Long -Capturing Contemporary Japan: Differentiation and Uncertainty (University of Hawai'i Press, 2014).
29,994. Daniel Pick - Psychoanalysis: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press, 2015).
29,995. Michaelangelo Matos - The Underground is Massive: How Electronic Dance Music Conquered America (Dey St., 2015).
29,996. Mark C. Taylor - Speed Limits: Where Time Went and Why We Have So Little Left (Yale University Press, 2014).
29,997. Bonnie J. Morris - The Disappearing L: Erasure of Lesbian Spaces and Culture (State University of New York Press, 2016).
29,998. William M. O'Barr & John M. Conley - Fortune & Folly: The Wealth & Power of Institutional Investing (Business One Irwin, 1992).
29,999. Jane Ward - Not Gay: Sex Between Straight White Men (New York University Press, 2015).
30,000. A big book from the big man himself, Freud's Civilization and Its Discontents (an English 1961 Norton paperback copy).

Nice! That was fast. :)

Now, can we get a reward from the management? :P

An elephant stamp for effort to ahr2nd. That is an eclectic bunch of books to round out the 30,000!

mirva I believe your cheque is in the mail.

I was more like hoping for some new features, maybe some collection tools, but I'll take money too, my employer is a cheapskate. :P

August, 1, 2017
Credits 96,275
Books 30,920
Users 1863

Some excellent contributions lately including some in my collection, but in storage.

I'm nearing the end of the collection of stamp/antiques books I came across in a storage unit my grandfather is retiring. They are rather boring to submit :D

Well, there is always the Fahrenheit 451 solution.

September, 1, 2017
Credits 101,162
Books 33,619
Users 2713

October, 1, 2017
Credits 107,956
Books 35,717
Users 3224

November, 1, 2017
Credits 111,887
Books 37,202
Users 3376

November seems slowest in pace for at least last year. In spite of thousands of newcomers.
:(

December, 2, 2017
Credits 114,535
Books 38,253
Users 3564

Maybe it is time we focused on the quality as well as the quantity of data. There are still many credits with empty profiles and quite a few where it is apparent that the same credit name is being used for two or more different people or organisations. I do what I can to flesh out any empty profiles I find and separate obvious mash-ups, but it can be tricky if someone is listed only as a 'contributor'.
Could I suggest we all check that we have a likely match if the name we are entering is already in the database. If we need to create a new credit, add at least some basic profile details.

I second that comment.

January, 1, 2018
Credits 117,731
Books 39,281
Users 3748

What's a good submission goal for 2018? The bigger the better

phasics thanks for regularly posting the monthly statistics.

What's a good submission goal for 2018? The bigger the better

80,000? :D

I like your style, mirva. 80k sounds good to me!

80k sounds good. I need to get some new material in the house for submitting!

February, 1, 2018
Credits 122,282
Books 40,909
Users 3976

March, 1, 2018
Credits 125,295
Books 41,897
Users 4201

Thanks phasics. Was hoping we'd cross 42k books in Feb, we were so close

I was interested in the numbers of books submitted each month, so using the available monthly statistics these are the figures:

August 2017 - 1130
May 2017 - 1913
June 2017 - 1134
July 2017 - 1517
August 2017 - 2699
September 2017 - 2098
October 2017 - 1485
November 2017 - 1015
December 2017 - 1028
January 2018 - 1628
February 2018 - 988
March 2018 - 2217 (as at March 28)

April, 1, 2018
Credits 131,029
Books 44,257
Users 4,476

March 2018 - 2360

so at a rate of 2000 books a month, it would take 41 yrs to reach a million books!

Depends on growing of active userbase, I believe at some point it could grow exponentially. Just look at the discogs history, they grew from 260,000 releases in 2004 to 2,000,000 in 2010 to 9 mln currently.

I really hope we won't get stuck to 2000 books a month for eternity...

I miss you all. I started a new job in February and have little time for hobbies until I am accustomed to my new life.

so at a rate of 2000 books a month, it would take 41 yrs to reach a million books!

As from today everyone will need to double their submission rates so that we can reach a million books in half the time. Crack of the whip!

tsivihcra your legacy lives on and you still sit comfortably on the leaderboard. Congratulations on getting a job. There is still a place at the table when you have some spare time. Remember Jack, all work...

I miss you all. I started a new job in February and have little time for hobbies until I am accustomed to my new life.

Glad to hear you're still around. :)

I know very well the pain of not having enough time for hobbies... Hopefully you'll find the time, having hobbies makes life a little bit better.

May, 1, 2018
Credits 135,176
Books 46,759
Users 4,689

2502 books submitted for the month of March. At that rate it will only take 33 years to reach a million books!

How about we reach 50,000 by the end of May? ;-)

yeah, let's make it 50k this month!

We need just 114 books per day for the remaining 11 days to reach that target. If only the spammers would submit books instead of forum posts.

Yeah, it's a bit harder now... but not impossible. ;-)
It would've been more realistic without those idiots crippling the site.

but not impossible

Only 685 to go.

\o/

I can't wait to get my computer back from the repair... I tried submitting some with my tablet/phone, but it was too much. :P

Six days left and only 315 books required to reach 50,000. Can we make it!

48 books to go. We'd better be at 50,000 books tomorrow when I wake up. ;-)

:D incredible effort

Earlier today the number of books was sitting at 49,956 and now it is down to 49,922. I thought book credits could be created but not destroyed.

I hope that was just a glitch, and nothing actually got deleted...

Gee mirva, I thought there was every likelihood that you were going to wake up to find 50,000 books, but someone must have left the gate open and 30+ submissions made a dash for it. Hopefully, the target will be reached today (barring escapees).

I thought there was every likelihood that you were going to wake up to find 50,000 books

I try to stay optimistic. ;-)

Tbh, I was not necessarily expecting it but I have to say that I was somewhat surprised to see that the total number of books had gone down.

Well, looks like you guys have to take care of it. It seems that the system thinks I'm a spammer and I can't submit anything. :/

Congratulations GruenerTee for adding book submission 50,000. Yipeee!

It seems that the system thinks I'm a spammer and I can't submit anything.

What???

Woohoo! Well done everyone.

The reason for the book credits going down yesterday was the migration of some comics from Bookogs to Comicogs.

@mirva: What kind of spam alerts are you getting? And on what kind of submissions.

I just messaged about it via the corner bubble, but it seems that the problem is gone. I was at least able to submit one of the books I got the warning on. I tried three different kind of submissions: a book, a magazine, and an e-book, but I got the spam warning on all of those ("Our spam systems flagged this action as spam").

And yay for the 50,000 books! I think we also smashed all the previous records of books per month. :)

Hey thanks for the congratulation and good job everybody.
Is it possible to show how much average submissions/day are contributed?

Is it possible to show how much average submissions/day are contributed?

Currently no. But adding these sorts of stats is definitely something we'd like to add. Stay tuned!

The reason for the book credits going down yesterday was the migration of some comics from Bookogs to Comicogs.

I hope they packed their passports and a change of underwear.

June, 1, 2018
Credits 141,235
Books 50,192
Users 5,472

Monthly delta: 3433 books

That was good month!

I can't believe we're almost at 3000 books for this month. Keep up the good work, everyone. :-)

Only 42 more books to beat last month's record total.

July, 1, 2018
Credits 147,431
Works 201
Books 54,314
Users 6,053

Monthly delta: 4122 books

\o/

August, 1, 2018
Credits 151,841
Works 3,226
Books 57,345
Users 6,311

Monthly delta: 3031 books

September, 1, 2018
Books 59,917
Credits 156,892
Works 5,836
Users 6,625

Monthly delta: 2572 books

October, 1, 2018
Books 64,609
Credits 165,673
Works 8,254
Users 7,056

Monthly delta: 4692 books

November, 1, 2018
Books 68,545
Credits 173,582
Works 11,552
Users 7,325

Monthly total: 3936

December, 1, 2018
Books 71,849
Credits 180,453
Works 13,791
Users 7,601
Monthly total: 3304

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.