There has been a couple of suggestions in different threads for a format description section (similar to Discogs), so I thought maybe a separate thread would be good for the discussion.

Here are some suggestions what it could include:
• Advance Copy
• Annotated
• Anthology
• Book Club Edition
• Definitive Edition
• Deluxe Edition
• Illustrated
• International Edition
• Large Paper Copy
• Large Print
• Limited Edition
• Misbound
• Numbered
• Pirated Edition
• Print on Demand
• Reprint
• Special Edition

I was also thinking maybe we could also include cover/packaging options, such as:
• Dust Jacket
• Picture Cover
• Slipcase

Any thoughts?

Mirva, good compilation you're doing a fine work here in Bibliogs
congrats

Thanks!

About unabridged - shouldn't we assume that unabridged is the standard, and it would be maybe more useful to only note when the book is abridged?

An option to a separate field would be to add these to the format list, and make it possible to add more than one format.

And about Advance Copy - do you think that's sufficient, or should we have "Advance Reader's Copy" and "Advance Review Copy" separately?

Also is Uncorrected Proof more of an extension of the format, or a format in itself? Are they always the same format?

Some more suggestions:

• All Edges Gilt
• Author's Preferred Text
• Facsimile
• Illuminated
• Library Edition
• Review Copy
• Trade Edition

=unabridged is the standard=
Ok

=add these to the format list=
I'd prefer formats and descriptions separately, as on Discogs

=make it possible to add more than one format=
Agree

=And about Advance Copy - do you think that's sufficient=
Yes imo

I'd prefer formats and descriptions separately, as on Discogs

Yeah, me too. But I'm ok either way. I don't know what the coding possibilities are here, and there has been some reluctance (or very little interest) to add new fields, so it was just a suggestion, an alternative. :)

-"Adaptation" "Adapted" or similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_adaptation
Lots of books specially children's books are adapted from adult oriented novels, we could tagged them so.
eg. https://www.biblio.gs/book/62205-Walt-Disneys-Snow-White-and-the-Seven-Dwarfs

-"Adaptation" "Adapted" or similar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_adaptation
Lots of books specially children's books are adapted from adult oriented novels, we could tagged them so.
eg. https://www.biblio.gs/book/62205-Walt-Disneys-Snow-White-and-the-Seven-Dwarfs

When are these formats going to be added? I feel like it is a waste of time to add them when I can't specify signed, number, lettered, First Edition, First Print, Book club edition, special edition, gift edition. The publisher should also be and option especially for special editions. Like many of my Stephen King books are Cemetery Dance special editions (gift or signed/numbered).

The publisher should also be and option especially for special editions.

It is on the Credits list. The list is split in two, so you need to browse to the second section which has more company related credit roles.

Thank you. I didn't realize the publisher was in the list. It's great for some of my editions that are Artist editions ( another format suggestion) or other editions that are artwork heavy like my Cemetery Dance editions. Still feel the format option need to be added before I can take the time to add my whole collection though.

Still feel the format option need to be added

Yeah, I agree. Meanwhile though you could add this information to the Notes, and then update it if/when the management decides to add more options. But it's of course totally up to you. :)

I agree. I mentioned this (very simple) scheme elsewhere, by the way:

Say you have a short paperback that is advertised as a historical essay on, say, Moorish Spain. We enter that as: Genre: History / Form: Essay (if advertised as such, as with albums on Discogs, perhaps) / Format: Paperback. So we have then three fields instead of two. I know that adds another layer of careful consideration to each entry, but I don't know how to suggest that something is simultaneously an anthology, science fiction, and hardcover (to give another example).

(Obviously by "very simple" I mean basic and not necessarily easy...)

Not sure if it could fit in this section, some books are branded as "Best Novel of the Year Prize" or similar so it could be used "Prized" or "Prized Book" or "Awarded". Do not confuse with Prize Books https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prize_book

I think literary awards should be probably attached to the "master release", this way it wouldn't have to be added separately to every single version of the book.

Maybe something like the Discogs list function could be useful here too?

Meanwhile if someone is interested in doing a list of books that have won a specific award, the Wiki could be always used. :-)

Yes, maybe better in (future) Master Release section.
And again a basic list function could help us ordering our books, credits, etc.

What about the belly bands (obi)? some books are marketed with an obi so maybe it could be part of a future packaging options section of Format description section, or adding only in release notes.

imo 'Format' is exclusively physical, so think size (also for older printed material: the classic antiquarian ones like 8vo, 4to, folio, oblong, etc) or number of volumes. i would create a separate [b]section[/b] for these also including signed and numbered but without subjective prizes, etc. the latter should be in 'Notes'.

I just had a look at a list of literary awards on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_awards

Wow!

imo, a format and separate "special attributes" list or simplifying formats so multiple options can be chosen to accurately and more fully describe the pressing would be an improvement.

A thought on translations & awards: often specific translations receive awards; in that case it wouldn't be appropriate to add the award to master releases. This is esp. true for novels written by non-russian speaking authors that lived in eastern bloc countries like Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, before the dissolution of the soviet union.

A thought on translations & awards: often specific translations receive awards; in that case it wouldn't be appropriate to add the award to master releases.

True. And sometimes the award is given to a person, not a specific book, like the Nobel Prize in Literature. But in the cases when the award is given to a book in general, it also doesn't make sense having to add the same award info to every single version of the book.

That's why probably a list function similar to Discogs would be the best option, so we could add either MRs, specific books, and/or authors to the lists.

• Corrected Edition
  • Revised Edition
  • Summer Issue
    Mainly used in magazines

Multilingual Edition

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.