St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was originally established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the Copper Country area of Michigan to work in the mining industry. The parish community erected a wood frame church in 1890, but it was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year, the community began work on an elegant Romanesque style church to be built with locally-quarried Jacobsville sandstone. The new church was completed in 1908. The church was renamed St. Paul the Apostle in 1966, when four area parishes consolidated. The church is located at 301 8th Street in Calumet, Michigan, and is still in use today.